Confined Space Attendants have the responsibility to monitor activities inside and outside of a confined space. The attendant must be aware of all hazards in the space and surrounding area. Every attendant MUST be trained in: Non entry rescues as well as the procedures for summoning emergency services, hazard recognition, permit procedures as well as keeping accurate counts of entrants to meet the minimum expectations of OSHA.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• The attendant shall know the hazards that may be faced during confined space entry, including information on the mode, signs or symptoms, and consequences of exposure. Confined space hole watch attendants are vigilant to hazards like toxic fumes, combustible gases, and entrapment risks;
• The attendant shall be aware of the possible behavioral effects of hazard exposure in entrants.
• The attendant shall continuously maintain an accurate count of entrants in the confined space.
• The attendant shall remain outside the confined space during confined space operations until relieved by another attendant.
• The attendant shall maintain communications with entrants to monitor entrant status and to alert entrants of the need to evacuate the confined space, use of portable monitors when necessary to sample air quality in the work area.
• The attendant shall monitor activities inside and outside the confined space to determine if it is safe for the entrants to remain in the space and orders the entrants to evacuate the confined space immediately under any of the following conditions: if the attendant detects a prohibited condition; if the attendant detects the behavioral effects of hazard exposure; if the attendant detects a situation outside the confined space that could endanger the entrants; or if the attendant cannot effectively and safely perform all the required duties.
• The attendant shall summon rescue and other emergency services as soon as it is determined that entrants may need assistance to escape from the confined space.
• The attendant shall take the following actions when unauthorized persons approach or enter a confined space during confined space operations: warn the unauthorized persons that they must stay away from the confined space; advise the unauthorized persons that they must exit immediately if they have entered the confined space; and inform the authorized entrants and the supervisor that unauthorized persons have entered the confined space.
• The attendant may perform non-entry rescues as specified by the employer's rescue procedure if trained to do so.
• The attendant shall not perform any other duties that might interfere with the attendant's primary duty to monitor and protect the entrants.
• Confined space attendants are to be trained and competent in the following disciplines:
• Ventilation Hazards
• General Safety
• Atmospheric testing
• Grounding devices for entry crew
• Emergency / evacuation procedures etc.
• Conditions of the permit and Rescue Plan(s) available
• During emergency operation the attendant will provide support and communications for swift evacuation of worker and emergency aid when needed.
SKILLS & ABILITIES:
• Must have good interpersonal skills.
• Ability to read, interpret and record data from meters, gauges, panels, computer consoles and other equipment.
• Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
• Ability to diagnose basic problems, troubleshoot equipment and take corrective action within established guidelines.
• Ability to read, write and comprehend English (operational, manufacturer's manuals, safety and quality instructions).
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; and stoop, kneel, or crouch. Uses hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to sit. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 60 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, and ability to adjust focus.
Shop and yard environment. May be frequently exposed to wet, humid, outside weather conditions. Heavy winds, and strong smells, and vibration. Works in customer environments. High pressure, chemicals, shop traffic. The noise level in work environment is usually moderate but can require hearing protection. . Overnight Travel Required which includes driving long distance (may require on average 1 week per month or more)
Education and/or Experience:
Minimum: High school diploma or GED and previous experience or completion of OTJ training in Confined Space Attendant services, Hole Watch and Fire Watch.
Preferred: Proficiency in the care and use of all site specific, facility and customer required Personal Protection Equipment (PPE). Trained in Respiratory Protection and fully certified to wear respiratory breathing equipment (Fit Tested).
Attends or has attended prior to beginning work in:
• OSHA 10 Hour - Gives the employee an in depth understanding of safety in industrial environments and emphasizes the importance and expectations of their position.
• 4 Hour Confined Space and Fire Watch Training - Conveys the duties and responsibilities of all involved during a confined space entry as well as hot work to insure attendants and fire watch employees understand their role with regard to promoting and ensuring a safe work environment. Covers applicable parts of CFR 29.
• Hands on Simulation Training - Utilize live fire expulsions and simulated confined space entry procedures.
• Site Specific Training - Review of site specific permit, procedures and policies. Attendants are trained on these specifically to comply with sites protocols.
• Continuing Education - Daily reviews of policies, procedures, safety awareness and professionalism are conducted. Evaluations, site issues and events and refresher training is conducted by supervisors.
EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, sex, protected veteran status or disability
A little about us:
Airgas is a company of hardworking men and women dedicated to helping our customers succeed.