The Consultant, Underwriting for Discover Home Equity Loans is a senior, individual contributor who leads operations strategy and implementation of changes in our residential mortgage underwriting department. Based in Delaware and co-located with the underwriting department, this role reports to the Senior Manager, Operations Strategy and requires ability to travel approximately 25% to other operations sites in Phoenix and Atlanta, as well as headquarters in the Chicago area.Job Description
- Champions process and system improvements to improve productivity, reduce errors, and minimize rework. Synthesizes disparate pieces of information to identity improvement opportunities, present justifications for change, and determine appropriate solutions.
- Defines department goals (e.g., productivity, quality, cycle time, effectiveness), determines staffing needs, designs scorecards, and monitors performance.
- Manages implementation of small and large projects, ensuring there is proper communication, coordination, training and execution to achieve desired objectives.
- Owns, writes, reviews, updates, and improves procedures, job aids and reference guide documents for operations teams. Obtains necessary approvals prior to making changes and confirms changes are implemented effectively.
- Develops and maintains collaborative working relationships within area of responsibility and across departments, gathers feedback on needs and challenges, and creates buy-in on proposed changes.
- Identifies potential areas of credit risk, compliance risk, operational risk, or poor customer experience by assessing process and procedure design and implementation. Develops and implements plans to address and close gaps. Designs effective controls and actively participates in control design reviews.
- Assists Department Managers and Area Managers/Team Leads with daily operation of the department as needed, such as answering escalated file-level questions.
- Promotes a risk-aware culture, and ensures efficient and effective risk and compliance management practices by adhering to required standards and processes.
- Other duties as assigned by management.>
Bachelors degree or equivalent experience
7+ years mortgage or home equity loan processing or underwriting experience, with demonstrated knowledge of post-TRID regulatory requirements.
Demonstrated leadership ability.
Excellent communication, interpersonal, negotiation, and problem-solving skills.
Ability to mentor varying levels of employees and coach them to success, while effectively balancing overall department needs and production goals.
Ability to interact well with all levels of senior management, articulating department needs in a solution-oriented way.
Ability to analyze information, identify key issues and draw logical conclusions, identify root causes of problems and develop solutions.
Ability to learn and navigate mortgage loan origination systems.
Must be able to work independently in a fast paced, goal-oriented environment.
Must be flexible and adaptable to changing business needs.
Proficient using Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
A little about us:
Discover is one of the most recognized brands in U.S. financial services. We’re a direct banking and payment services company built on a legacy of innovation and customer service.