Fittje Brothers has an immediate opening for a Controller.
General Overview - The Controller has dual accountability to both their company president and to RRD Corporate. The Controller oversees all accounting activities: including accounts payable, billing, job costing, inventory control, credit & collections, payroll, administration of employee compensation and benefits programs, insurance, sales/use taxes, budgeting and financial reporting/analysis. The Controller also manages their company’s financial and administrative functions in a manner consistent with generally accepted accounting principles and RR Donnelley’s policies & procedures. The Controller is their president’s “Trusted Business Advisor” and is the Company’s “Financial Conscience.”
- Attends regular managers’ meetings (such as daily production or periodic sales meetings) and participates in the overall management of the organization.
- Implements RRD’s policies and procedures along with appropriate internal controls to ensure the safeguarding of assets and accuracy of financial information. Reports any fraud or illegal acts to company president or Corporate as appropriate. Champions the effective operation of strong internal controls.
- Oversees, directs, and evaluates financial management information (including production and accounting systems) and takes appropriate steps to ensure the security of all accounting records, computer programs & company records.
- Participates in periodic evaluation and revision of budgeted hourly rates and manufacturing standards used for estimating & job costing.
- Provides appropriate financial operating information to related departmental managers, including sales and production, in order to enable them to establish effective goals and monitor their department’s operating performance. Also prepares annual budgets for their company as directed by their company president and Corporate.
- Ensures that accounting or administrative personnel supervised by the Controller have current job descriptions, are appropriately trained, and have performance appraisals conducted in a timely, uniform, and effective manner.
- Takes responsibility for ensuring compliance with all local, state, and federal employment, health, safety, labor, and tax laws and regulations. Prepares any necessary regulatory filings on a timely basis to the appropriate agencies and in accordance with the appropriate laws and tax regulations.
- Implements company credit and payment policies, approves credit terms within their own guidelines for approval authority. Communicates with CGX treasury for credit limits exceeding local limits. Monitors customer activity and identifies credit risk. Oversees collection process including negotiation of payment terms for marginal accounts. Pursues collection assistance from collection agencies or outside attorneys when necessary.
- Ensures the accounting records underlying the financial statements accurately and fairly reflect the transactions of the company.
- Prepares financial statements and monthly reporting package for Corporate Accounting and provides support for variance analysis and auditor questions as necessary. Meets appropriate deadlines for monthly reporting.
- Performs appropriate financial analysis and prepares regular and ad hoc reports about company financial status as directed by the company president or corporate personnel.
- Manages payroll process, salary administration, and employee benefits in unison with Corporate Human Resources Dept.
- Understands risk management program, including types of business insurance coverage. Also identifies and coordinates any business insurance claims. Promptly reports and actively administers workers compensation claims.
- Reconciles all G/L Balance Sheet accounts on a timely basis and provides such information to corporate accounting personnel.
- Prepares analysis for investment in new equipment or disposition of idle/obsolete equipment as directed by company president, and in accordance with RRD CER policy.
- Ensures the billing process is completed on a timely, accurate basis in accordance with RRD’s revenue recognition policies. Oversees related commission calculations in accordance with company commission plan
- Oversees monthly physical inventory counts and is responsible for tracking/valuing all materials, work in progress, and finished goods at month end. Performs and documents review of inventory obsolescence in accordance with RRD policy.
- Reviews all payables, ensures appropriate pricing for materials or services according to RR Donnelley’s national contracts, maintains control over check stock and takes initiative by seeking to identify cost saving opportunities.
- Demonstrates an interest in, and develops an appropriate understanding of, the printing industry, our business strategies, and primary business processes.
- Manages time effectively, communicates well with others, exhibits a positive attitude and a team-oriented spirit, and strives to continuously improve business processes and contribute to the company’s overall success.
A little about us:
Join a company changing the fast-moving world of communications, where people like, link, pin, post and share. At RR Donnelley, we do it all.