Johnson & Johnson Medical Devices Companies, under the leadership of the Office of Science and Technology and Johnson and Johnson Innovation is recruiting a Head of Johnson & Johnson Center for Device Innovation at the Texas Medical Center (CDI@TMC). The CDI@TMC is a new Johnson & Johnson innovation building initiative intended to accelerate end-to-end development of breakthrough medical devices and expands on the existing collaboration Johnson & Johnson established with TMC with the opening of JLABS@TMC.
Our strategy to accelerating innovation will be accomplished by leveraging a dedicated full-service medical device innovation studio in synergy with the abundant resources of the Texas Medical Center. Specifically, the CDI@TMC will identify novel medical device technologies that are strategically aligned with JNJ’s various medical device businesses. Some of these technologies will be identified within JNJ; others will be identified from external sources throughout the TMC and beyond. Regardless of the source, selected projects will be brought into the CDI for early prototyping, rapid iteration, and generation of compelling bench, preclinical, and early clinical evidence by a team of dedicated entrepreneurs and engineers to support integration of the project into JNJ’s core innovative efforts.
To lead and accelerate this effort the head of CDI@TMC will be responsible for setting the strategic direction and overseeing all operational activities for CDI@TMC, ensuring acceleration of innovative processes and decreasing the hurdles to creation of break-through medical devices.
Specifically, this individual will work in partnership with Vice President Johnson & Johnson and Director of the CDI, to
- Develop strategy to source and identify creative breakthough medical device projects in line with MD franchise/platform priorities and consumer/patient needs
- Thoroughly vet potential projects and assess suitability from multiple perspectives including degree of strategic alignment with JNJ, magnitude of healthcare impact, technical and regulatory implications, business case, and competitive landscape.
- Lead and coordinate discussions with scientist, entrepreneurs, and engineers throughout the Texas Medical Center and beyond to identify projects that fit the CDI requirements Rapidly gain appropriate domain expertise and leverage the input of key opinion leaders across the broad TMC ecosystem to facilitate project acceleration and engage TMC stakeholders.
- Secure buy in on selected innovation projects from multiple stakeholders within JNJ, including, R&D, Franchise, COE leaders and key functional partners.
- Develop strategy and lead efforts to source external funding for projects to decrease P&L impact on JNJ medical device businesses Identify, engage and attract venture capitalists. Partner in efforts to develop and communicate value proposition to enlist investors
- Lead and coordinate the CDI@TMC team’s relationship with external funding partners in collaboration with the JJI JLABS@TMC Head and with the help of JNJ Innovation Centers in Boston and San Francisco to craft business arrangements that are mutually beneficial
- Direct and oversee the efforts of the dedicated medical device project leaders within the CDI and team of dedicated internal JNJ engineers and machinists to design, create, test, and refine prototypes to accomplish the stated objectives
- Assertively manage resource utilization and speed of execution of project endeavors
- Optimally leverage the state-of-the-art resources such as the machine shop with in house machinists support, and the various resources used in prototyping.
- Lead the identification and hiring of medical device project leaders and engineers to accomplish innovation objectives in partnership with key leadership stakeholders/sponsors Lead JNJ Engineers Fellow/ Rotational Program and ensure project and Engineer development objectives are met
- Partner with the Head of JNJ Innovation at the JLABS@TMC to ensure the success of both organizations. This will include organization of promotional activities and public awareness campaigns to ensure we have access to best in class science and technologies
- Create and inspire a work environment of trust, collaboration and ethical behavior across a vast, diverse internal and external matrix network of stakeholders. Serve as an inspirational role model for all our teams, internal and external, and promote a work environment that challenges the status quo, and leads and adapts to change in order to create a significant positive change. S/he must establish and maintain a positive, proactive, high-energy, collaborative and engaging working environment. Johnson & Johnson Medical Devices Companies, under the leadership of the Office of Science and Technology and Johnson and Johnson Innovation is recruiting a Head of Johnson & Johnson Center for Device Innovation at the Texas Medical Center (CDI@TMC). The CDI@TMC is a new Johnson & Johnson innovation building initiative intended to accelerate end-to-end development of breakthrough medical devices and expands on the existing collaboration Johnson & Johnson established with TMC with the opening of JLABS@TMC.
- Bachelors degree required
- A Minimum of 15 years of experience and a track record in senior program management is required.
- An advanced degree (MBA and/or a MD or PhD) is preferred.
- At least 6 years of relevant professional experience in the healthcare industry is required.
- Start-up company experience along with large corporate experience is preferred.
- Demonstrated team management is required.
- S/he must possess deep experience in program budgeting and fiscal management with experience in business development, technology transfer, management consulting, and/or venture capital investing.
- Experience in the evaluation and execution of a diverse set of business development opportunities is required.
- Demonstrated adaptability to work across functions and therapeutic areas is required.
- Some travel (mostly Texas and western U.S., but some east-coast or international) will be required.
Ethicon Inc. (6045)Job Function
A little about us:
Johnson & Johnson cares for the world - bringing innovative ideas, products and services to advance the health and well-being of people.