At MetLife, we seek to make a meaningful impact in the lives of our customers and our communities. In Legal Affairs, we strive to attract, develop and retain diverse talent with the potential to be future leaders of our department and of MetLife as a whole. We seek legal and compliance professionals who demonstrate high intellectual capacity to understand complex matters facing our company, combined with strong leadership competencies
to motivate and inspire higher performance by all our professionals. We take an active role in developing the skills of our talent and guiding their professional growth. By promoting skill development and career advancement for our professionals, we are better positioned to serve our internal business partners and to help achieve MetLife's vision of becoming a world-class leader in the insurance, retirement savings and employee benefits industries. Job Location
United States : New York : New York Alternate Job Location
Not Applicable : Not Applicable Job Description
The attorney will be part of a team of lawyers who, along with one to two others, will be primarily responsible for providing legal advice under the Federal securities laws in connection with the issuance and maintenance of variable annuities and other variable insurance products with a focus on the Investment Company Act of 1940. This team is responsible for drafting and filing SEC registration statements for variable annuity and life products and for providing day-to-day legal advice to the business people who administer variable insurance products. This team services the significant block of business of individual life and annuities. It is a part of a larger unit that also has responsibility for $17 billion group business. Principal Responsibilities:
The attorney will be able to:
- Handle complex legal matters, analyze legal (and business, where applicable) issues, draft legal documents, and negotiate matters and solve intricate problems using sound legal judgment and expertise, without supervision;
- Build relationships with business partners with diplomacy and by providing insightful, timely, pragmatic and proactive counsel with very limited supervision;
- Prepare, initiate, advocate and efficiently present legal points and recommendations to influence business partners and to represent them as legal counsel;
- Educate self and business partners on legal developments affecting business and provide innovative strategies to address those developments;
- Work on or lead project or cross-functional teams;
- Work with and/or guide outside counsel, as appropriate, on various matters;
- Guide junior attorneys, paraprofessionals or administrative staff. The attorney will have the responsibility to:
- Draft disclosures for prospectuses and offering memoranda for variable annuity and life products;
- Update product registration statements;
- Advise business areas on all aspects of product design and modification;
- Review sales literature;
- Co-ordinate the efforts of unit paralegals;
- Perform other duties as required.
- Juris Doctor required;
- Candidate must be admitted to practice in at least one state;
- Candidate must possess 5-8 years relevant practice experience post bar admission.
- Candidate must be able to work under the limited supervision of a senior attorney;
- Strong academic credentials;
- Excellent oral and written communications skills;
- Ability to handle multiple projects and assignments effectively;
- Must be able to deal comfortably with business partners and others at all levels within the company;
- Non-variable insurance experience: In addition to 1940 Act expertise, we expect that person to have expertise in (or a desire to gain expertise in) other related areas, and advise senior business leaders in such areas, including state insurance regulatory aspects related to retail life and annuities, group insurance products, and distribution.
Legal Affairs Number of Openings
A little about us:
MetLife offers life insurance, disability income insurance, car insurance, employee benefits and more.