At MetLife, we seek to make a meaningful impact in the lives of our customers and our communities. Job Location
United States : New Jersey : Morristown Alternate Job Location
Not Applicable : Not Applicable Job Description
Primary responsibilities of this attorney will be to provide legal support to the MetLife third party institutional investment management platform, which includes multiple private funds and managed accounts in various asset classes for both domestic and international institutional clients. Responsibilities will also include legal support for review of marketing materials, new product structuring, private fund formation and drafting and negotiation of legal documents with respect to such products. Frequent advice and counsel with respect to the Investment Advisers Act of 1940, Alternative Investment Fund Manager's Directive and FINRA's institutional broker dealer rules.
Experience representing a broker-dealer desirable but not required. Key Relationships:
Reports to: SVP & Associate General Counsel Key Responsibilities:
• Formation and structuring of private funds and other strategic products as they are developed by the business teams;
• Review and negotiation of fund and other product documentation, including LPAs, PPMs, investment management agreements;
• Provision of legal advice in support of institutional investment management platform and its products, including advice and counsel in connection with marketing materials, Investment Advisors Act of 1940, Alternative Investment Fund Manager's Directive and FINRA's institutional broker dealer rules;
• Able to work proactively and independently, analyze and handle complex legal matters with minimal supervision, draft complex legal documents and negotiate matters with internal and external constituents unaided;
• Ability to prepare, initiate, advocate and effectively present legal points and recommendations to influence clients and to represent clients as legal counsel;
• Maintain diplomatic client relationships and provides education of business partners on relevant legal developments while growing own business acumen; and
• Efficient monitoring and management of outside counsel's work product and costs. Required Qualifications
- JD from an accredited law school.
- Admitted to practice law in New Jersey and New York.
- 3+year's fund and investment management experience.
- 6+ year's fund and investment management experience.
- Strong technical and functional knowledge of Investment Advisors Act of 1940, business acumen and awareness relevant to investment management organizations.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills and the ability to lead work teams or projects.
- Perform independently at high level and exhibit proactive leadership and strong collaborative and inter-personal skills.
- Prior experience in an investment management company.
- Leadership aptitude and interest in developing management competencies.
Legal Affairs Number of Openings
MetLife is proud to be an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. We are committed to attracting, retaining and maximizing the performance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is the policy of MetLife to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, disability, veteran status, genetic information or any other basis protected by law.