At MetLife, we’re leading the global transformation of an industry we’ve long defined. United in purpose, diverse in perspective, we’re dedicated to making a difference in the lives of our customers.
In January 2016, MetLife announced a plan to pursue the separation of a substantial portion of its U.S. Retail segment. Once separated, the new business will be called Brighthouse Financial.
Brighthouse Financial will serve customers the way they want, need and deserve. It will focus on eliminating the complexity, confusion and cost that can get in the way of many Americans who are seeking financial security. We will bring products to the market that add value to our customers’ lives, and will be guided by a common set of values that focus on the customer and drive accountability.
Brighthouse Financial is seeking high-performing team members who are passionate about the company’s mission. We are laser-focused on adding value to our customers and minimizing complexity in every decision and action. We are building high performing teams who set the bar high and hold each other accountable.
United States : North Carolina : Charlotte
Alternate Job Location
Not Applicable : Not Applicable
Summary of Responsibilities
The responsibilities of this position include: (1) negotiation, coordination, and drafting of various complex technology and IP-related vendor agreements; (2) providing strategic legal advice and support to various business units regarding technology, intellectual property and privacy-related issues; and (3) exercising influence and leadership with business partners and colleagues to help achieve results. The position also brings with it the opportunity to design/define this brand new role in a new company.
- Negotiate, coordinate, and draft general vendor technology, privacy/data security, e-commerce, telecommunications, and IP-related agreements for the Enterprise.
- Negotiate, coordinate, and draft contracts and provide strategic legal advice and support to vendor sourcing on IT and IP issues.
- Provide advice on privacy-related issues.
- Provide advice on trademark and copyright issues, including advice regarding selection and filing of trademarks.
- Demonstrate skills as a strong practitioner and negotiator, a creative problem-solver, self-starter and hard worker, with the desire to grow with the position. Demonstrate strong service orientation and collaboration skills.
- Exhibit detail-orientation, with very good organizational skills and significant experience in advising clients.
- Identify and analyze legal issues in a fast-paced and rapidly changing world and business environment.
- Work with attorneys and compliance professionals in other practice areas within Legal Affairs in a collegial and coordinated fashion.
- Perform other duties as required.
- 5+ years relevant experience at a major law firm and/or in-house legal department, reflecting a record of accomplishment. Insurance and/or other financial services industry experience a plus.
- Strong understanding of technology, privacy/data security and intellectual property law.
- General vendor contracting background including in the areas such as cloud computing, software licensing, open source, outsourcing, telecommunications, and market data, sponsorships, advertising and marketing.
- Good business acumen and familiarity with the market and regulatory landscape affecting IT vendor contracting.
- Influence and leadership skills, especially in the context of the ability to relate to different stakeholders, business partners and colleagues.
- Strong drafting, negotiating and analytical skills.
- Crisp, clear client communication skills; in particular, the ability to reduce legal issues to straightforward practical analysis and advice.
- Ability to handle complex transactions from start to finish with minimal supervision.
- Ability to balance competing demands, multiple deadline-sensitive matters, assessing business priorities.
- Follow through to ensure advice is acted upon, and that ethical, legal and business issues are raised to appropriate levels.
- Ability to build collaborative partnerships and alliances, internally and externally.
- Willingness to take on challenging assignments and become familiar with new areas of the law.
- Willingness to receive coaching and mentoring from management and/or more experienced team members.
- Willingness to build knowledge of the company’s structure, operations, products and services, strategic business values, objectives, policies, culture, and regulatory requirements.
- Willingness and ability to improve operations, implement effective policies and procedures.
- Juris doctor degree from an accredited law school.
- Bar admission required.
Legal, Communication and Compliance
Number of Openings
MetLife is a proud equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to attracting, retaining, and maximizing the performance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is MetLife's policy to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, national origin, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, genetic information, citizenship status, uniformed service member or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
MetLife maintains a drug-free workplace.
For immediate consideration, click the Apply Now button. You will be directed to complete an on-line profile. Upon completion, you will receive an automated confirmation email verifying you have successfully applied to the job.
Requisition #: 26162
MetLife offers life insurance, disability income insurance, car insurance, employee benefits and more.