What you’ll be doing...
The portfolio management and scenario planning team, a new area of Verizon’s strategic planning group, develops Verizon’s annual 3 year strategic plan and conducts Total Shareholder Return (TSR)-based corporate portfolio analysis. Working with business unit leaders and the finance team, this group seeks to understand where value gets created across all of Verizon’s different businesses (e.g. wireless, wireline, Oath, telematics, etc.). With this understanding, this group will generate insights to help inform:
- new business opportunities (organic and inorganic) as well as critical strategic issues
- where Verizon should shepherd its resources over the long-term
- strategic assessments for optimizing operational and financial performance
- how business unit operational metrics translate/contribute to Verizon’s TSRs
Our work feeds directly into key executive and board decisions. In addition, this group oversees scenario planning.
In this role, the candidate will delve into Verizon’s business to ascertain economic profit—and, hence, where value resides. The successful candidate will then develop strategic recommendations based on these findings. Specific focus will go towards Verizon’s new growth businesses including Oath (e.g. AOL and Yahoo), other content assets and telematics. Key functions will include:
- Analyzing the financials of different business units at a granular level to identify key value drivers that can influence value creation and TSR.
- Constructing financial models to arrive at economic profit for different business units and isolating key levers that dictate economic profit.
- Collaborating with key stakeholders—business unit executives, Verizon corporate finance and strategy team, external consultants—to uncover business opportunities and formulate strategic recommendations.
- Keeping apprised of opportunities through competitive analysis, market research and industry knowledge.
- Crafting cogent presentations to senior management to articulate findings and various strategies.
- Participating in the scenario planning process and war gaming workshops.
What we’re looking for...
Ideally you will have:
- BS/BA with 5-7 years; preferred MBA or relevant experience
- Experience in corporate strategy/corporate development, strategy consulting, or investment banking
- Experience in telecom, technology or media industries
Even better if you have:
- Excellent quantitative analysis and financial modeling; highly proficient in Excel
- Comfort with financial accounting and ability to drive significant insights from financial statements
- Robust communication skills (long-form writing, PowerPoint and verbal)
- Highly developed strategic skills and business acumen
- Ability to synthesize information quickly and present insights to senior management
- Passion for arriving at the answer through a combination of independent research, financial analysis, competitive benchmarking and manipulation of data; always fact-based in forming hypotheses
- Intellectually curious, comfortable working in ambiguous environments and creative
- Enthusiasm for disruptive technologies and the media space (both new and traditional)
When you join Verizon...
You’ll be doing work that matters alongside other talented people, transforming the way people, businesses and things connect with each other. Beyond powering America’s fastest and most reliable network, we’re leading the way in broadband, cloud and security solutions, Internet of Things and innovating in areas such as, video entertainment. Of course, we will offer you great pay and benefits, but we’re about more than that. Verizon is a place where you can craft your own path to greatness. Whether you think in code, words, pictures or numbers, find your future at Verizon.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer- and celebrate our employees' differences, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or Veteran status. Different makes us better.
Verizon is one of the largest communication technology companies in the world.