New York Life Insurance Company (“New York Life” or “the company”) is the largest mutual life insurance company in the United States*. Founded in 1845, New York Life is headquartered in New York City, maintains offices in all fifty states, and owns Seguros Monterrey New York Life in Mexico.
New York Life is one of the most financially strong and highly capitalized insurers in the business. The company reported 2015 operating earnings of $1.875 billion. Total assets under management at year end 2015, with affiliates, totaled $528 billion. New York Life holds the highest possible financial strength ratings currently awarded to any life insurer from all four of the major ratings agencies: A.M. Best, A++; Fitch AAA; Moody’s Aaa; Standard & Poor’s AA+. (Source: Individual Third Party Ratings Report as of 8/11/15).
Financial strength, integrity and humanity—the values upon which New York Life was founded—have guided the company’s decisions and actions for over 170 years.
- The Content Strategist is responsible for developing the overall content strategy, content architecture and key success metrics for Agency Marketing, in addition to overseeing and contributing to ongoing content creation and management across departments (including the creation and maintenance of marketing collateral, marketing campaigns, social and digital content). Candidate must demonstrate the ability to think strategically about NYL’s business operations as a whole, and be extremely well-versed in the digital world, understanding not just written but also video content, social media, interactive storytelling, and user interface/user experience best practices. This role requires creativity, strategic and conceptual thinking, detail-orientation, project management and execution skills, a commitment to results, and the ability to perform well and influence others in a matrix environment.
- Develop the content taxonomy, nomenclature system and key performance indicators (KPI’s) for all marketing content created within Agency Marketing across marketing platforms (i.e. NYL.com, digital marketing collateral ordering system for the field, email marketing, social media marketing, Agent websites and other platforms), as well as for all third party content obtained.
- Build and implement the standards, systems and best practices for content creation, curation, distribution, archiving and ongoing maintenance, as well as for content retrieval and content repurposing.
- Partner with product and market managers, internal business stakeholders and functional teams to define and build new content based on business plans and established key organizing principles.
- Assess, catalog, tag and organize new and existing content (content inventory).
- Develop and continually manage integrated content marketing editorial calendar for key marketing initiatives within Agency Marketing.
- Conduct regular gap analysis of existing content, identifying sections that need a greater depth of material and removing out-dated material. Develop content strategy to address identified gaps.
- Leverage market data and consumer insights to develop content themes/topics.
- Work in conjunction with company PR and corporate brand/advertising teams to ensure that content strategy is aligned with the company's brand strategy.
- Monitor competitors and industry leaders to identify new types of content. Work with internal stakeholders to develop new content ideas across different channels.
- Review and communicate analytics and key success metrics on an ongoing basis to understand user behavior and help shape and manage content and messaging strategies.
- 10+ years of brand marketing and content strategy experience.
- Experience with content authoring tools and content management platforms.
- Understanding of user experience, especially as it pertains to information architecture and the overall consumer experience.
- Passion for creating great content with actionable knowledge of the digital landscape, including current industry and user trends, emerging technologies, and standards.
- Exceptional writing ability across a variety of styles and formats.
- Professional experience with all primary social media channels, especially Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn.
- Familiarity with SEO best practices.
- Proficient in Lotus Notes, Microsoft Office Suite, and Adobe Acrobat Pro. Experience with InDesign a plus.
- Must have workflow system experience in a production operation setting including task assignment, scheduling and reporting (Aprimo/Marketing Ops platform preferably).
- Ability to scope, organize and execute multiple projects with interrelated goals.
- Must be comfortable with complicated technical and regulatory language.
- Must exhibit strong interpersonal communication (both oral and written), organization and planning skills.
- Ability to meet tight and frequent deadlines and multiple projects at once.
- Ability to adjust to changing workload and priorities.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, matrixed environment.
- Extensive experience building content strategy, architecture and ongoing management of company content, preferably within the financial services, insurance, or other highly regulated industry.
- Proven experience conceptualizing and producing print, digital and broadcast marketing assets.
- Requires expertise in developing integrated content for diverse and sophisticated audiences, for print and digital, including internal and consumer facing as well as small to large size businesses.
- Passion for new technologies and emerging trends.
- History of demonstrating results via content campaigns.
- Experience leading cross-functional strategy and development meetings.
- Key participant and valued resource at interdepartmental meetings where creative influence and the ability to articulate and present conceptual ideas effectively is required.
- Highly responsible, team-oriented, collaborative approach to creative development.
- Regularly interface with senior management to ensure that content strategy is in line with and supportive of company objectives.
- Must have the ability to trouble shoot and solve unique and complex problems creatively.
- Able to navigate a highly-matrixed, complex organization while continuing to produce work on time, on message, and to high standard of quality.
- Create and communicate solutions for complex and often evolving consumer and organizational demands.
- Brings creativity, innovation and industry knowledge to every assignment and is able to identify the best available solution.
- Ability to influence and make key decisions with internal business partners that benefit the organization and its overall mission.
- Manage relationships with legal and compliance to ensure that materials are produced in line with requirements.
- Ensure work is brand consistent and work with Legal to ensure compliance.
- Independently conceptualize and provide creative solutions when needed.
- Ability to communicate content strategy and decisions to clients in a way that clearly explains decisions, highlights benefits, and takes into account their specific requests and needs.
- Strong influence and negotiation skills required for interacting with management (often at a senior level) and when required for helping them to adopt a different point of view, and for handling client requests, as well managing vendors and freelance consultants.
- Interpersonal skills to interact professionally with all people at all levels of the company at all times.
If you have difficulty using or interacting with any portions of this Web site due to incompatibility with an Assistive Technology, if you need the information in an alternative format, or if you have suggestions on how we can make this site more accessible, please contact us at: (212) 576-5811.
*Based on revenue as reported by “Fortune 500, Ranked within Industries, Insurance: Life, Health (Mutual),” Fortune Magazine, June 15, 2015. See http://fortune.com/fortune500/2015/ for methodology.
1. Operating earnings is the key measure use by management to track Company’s profitability from ongoing operations and underlying profitability of the business. This indicator is based on generally accepted accounting principles in the US(GAAP), with certain adjustments Company believes to be appropriate as a measurement approach ( non GAAP), primarily the removal of gains or losses on investments and related adjustments.
2. Assets under management represent Consolidated Domestic and International insurance Company Statutory assets (cash and invested assets and separate account assets) and third party assets principally managed by New York Life Investment management Holdings LLC, a wholly owned subsidiary of New York Life Insurance Company.
A little about us:
From sales careers to professions in insurance and investments, we lead the way.