A career at New York Life offers many opportunities. To be part of a growing and successful business. To reach your full potential, whatever your specialty. Above all, to make a difference in the world by helping people achieve financial security. It’s a career journey you can be proud of, and you’ll find plenty of support along the way. Our development programs range from skill-building to management training, and we value our diverse and inclusive workplace where all voices can be heard. Recognized as one of Fortune’s World’s Most Admired Companies, New York Life is committed to improving local communities through a culture of employee giving and service, supported by our Foundation It all adds up to a rewarding career at a company where doing right by our customers is part of who we are, as a mutual company without outside shareholders. We invite you to bring your talents to New York Life, so we can continue to help families and businesses “Be Good At Life.” To learn more, please visit LinkedIn, our Newsroom and the Careers page of www.NewYorkLife.com.
The Corporate Vice President (CVP) of Underwriting Policy and Research is responsible for designing the ideal underwriting and applications process and developing an improved underwriting rules solution which would enable the ability to give underwriting approval at point of sale. In this role, the successful incumbent will deliver key strategic capabilities and thought leadership to Underwriting innovation, research and development.
This person will have the following responsibilities:
- Effectively influence cross-functional teams across a broad range of functional areas to enable development and execution of a multi-year UW R&D strategy.
- Lead cross-functional team focused on delivering an Underwriting Rules Engine for NYL, including business requirements, technology development, testing and operational deployment
- Work with product to redesign our underwriting and product approach for small face amount applications and drive adoption of new technology
- Analyze and drive implementation of new applications that account for the business implications and the impact to mortality, claims, and stakeholders, such as, Agency, Claims, etc.
- Provide subject matter expertise and direct underwriting R&D team resources to evaluate Digital Health Data (DHD) from various sources for different underwriting and analytics use-cases in addition to executing proof of concept efforts with potential DHD partners.
- Lead collaboration with UW production team to identify opportunities to operationalize DHD, support planning and execution of such operationalization efforts
- Support different team efforts related to development and deployment of New Business and Underwriting Platform
- Undertake and direct research into latest medical and non-medical risk factors and trends and translate findings into underwriting policy implications.
- Participate in discussions with vendors that can provide new data or services to New York Life. Work with approved underwriting vendors to obtain research data for cost/benefit studies and other research initiatives.
- Support underwriting analytics efforts, identify and report on industry and internal trends that impact the business.
Desired Characteristics and Skills:
- 10+ years of deep life insurance underwriting experience and broad life insurance industry knowledge
- Familiarity and understanding of modern new business and underwriting platforms and solutions available in the industry is required, including Underwriting Rules Engines from reinsurers and other vendors
- Demonstrated track record of being able to successfully lead cross-functional teams and collaborate effectively across a broad range of functions and stakeholders
- Experience with development, delivery and operationalization of an Underwriting Rules Engine is highly desirable
- Understanding of predictive analytics is highly desirable
- Experience utilizing rules based, automated underwriting systems including development and enhancement of rules, process, etc.
- Strong reinsurer relationships and familiarity with reinsurance underwriting manuals.
- Strong technical underwriting skills.
- Demonstrated change management skills.
- Proficiency in completing and/or directing cost/benefit analyses.
- Familiarity and understanding of mortality tables and how mortality tables are constructed.
- Excellent communication skills, business writing and presentation skills.
If you have difficulty using or interacting with any portions of this Web site due to incompatibility with an Assistive Technology, if you need the information in an alternative format, or if you have suggestions on how we can make this site more accessible, please contact us at: (212) 576-5811.