Counsel, Int'l Trade
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Posted: February 03, 2017
Reference ID: 39355
The role of the International Trade Counsel is to (i) provide effective, practical, and efficient advice to the Company, its functions, business units and employees regarding import and export compliance and strategy (ii) manage on-going matters relating to the same; and (iii) collaboratively work in a team environment with other associates in the International Trade Group, Legal Division and relevant Company functions and business units as needed throughout the world.
The International Trade Counsel will work to ensure import / export compliance standards are met, with a strong emphasis on productivity, maximizing efficiencies and capturing savings opportunities. The International Trade Counsel will also provide support, as needed, to the Senior International Trade Counsel. In general, however, he/she will operate independently, handling matters directly with clients while keeping the Senior International Trade Counsel informed as to the progress of matters and seeking guidance as appropriate.
Function Related Activities / Key Responsibilities:
• Conduct training on import / export and antiboycott compliance and other related topics to internal clients and Legal colleagues.
• Provide practical advice regarding import / export and antiboycott compliance, including on aspects of certain transactions, contracts or other 3rd party relationships involving the Company.
• Review the work product of outside counsel, consultants, Customs brokers and other 3rd party service providers.
• Develop and maintain applicable policies, procedures and other internal controls.
• Identify trade needs, opportunities and issues, and execute the delivery of targeted and practical trade-related services.
• Investigate, prepare and submit voluntary prior disclosures of discovered breaches of regulations pertaining to applicable laws and regulations.
• Proactively track legislative, regulatory and administrative developments and educate clients regarding their impact.
• Draft opinions and materials to explain import and export compliance issues and considerations to clients.
• Periodically post on internal social media platforms (e.g., Chatter) regarding updates on significant issues of interest, guidelines, precedents, templates, etc., for use by other Legal Division associates.
• Build and develop effective working relationships with internal clients and other Legal associates.
• Provide support, as needed, to the Senior International Trade Counsel.
• Continue to develop expertise in import and export compliance and other international trade topics through on-the-job training, CLE and workshops.
• Other duties or responsibilities as may be assigned by the Senior International Trade Counsel.
Juris Doctor (JD) is required
Bar Membership (if applicable): Good standing as a member of the bar of at least one U.S. state or equivalent jurisdiction.
Related Work Experience:
• 2+ years of Import / export compliance experience in government service, private practice or multinational corporation.
• Experience with food and beverage companies is desirable.
• DRIVE INNOVATION: Generate new or unique solutions and embrace new ideas that help sustain our business
• COLLABORATE WITH SYSTEM, CUSTOMERS, AND OTHER STAKEHOLDERS: Develop and leverage relationships with stakeholders to appropriately stretch and impact the System (Company and Bottler)
• ACT LIKE AN OWNER: Deliver results, creating value for our brands, our System, our customers and key stakeholders
• INSPIRE OTHERS: Inspire people to deliver our mission and 2020 Vision, demonstrate passion for the business and give people a reason to believe anything is possible
• DEVELOP SELF AND OTHERS: Develop self and support others' development to achieve full potential
• A general understanding of The Coca-Cola Company and its operations.
• Understanding of the import / export and antiboycott compliance regulatory environment and involved governmental agencies.
• Ability to analyze problems and find solutions that further business goals while assessing and minimizing risk.
Honesty and integrity have always been cornerstone values of The Coca-Cola Company. Our passion for people of integrity mirrors our spirited drive for total quality in our brands. These and other elements allow the company to sustain strategic practices and drive business performance. The Personnel Integrity Assurance Program is another step toward making The Coca-Cola Company the premier workplace. This process includes a pre-employment background investigation that applies to all applicants employees and contractors of the company. The scope of this inquiry may cover such elements as education employment history a criminal history check reference checks and a pre-employment drug screen. Designated countries or sensitive positions within the company may have more stringent standards.
At The Coca-Cola Company you can cultivate your career in a challenging and dynamic environment. We are the largest manufacturer and distributor of nonalcoholic drinks in the world-selling more than 1 billion drinks a day. Unlock your full potential with a future-focused company that is known and respected throughout the world.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Back to top