Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company - one that is ready to help create a healthier future for all of us.
Our ability to excel depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, skill, diversity and teamwork of an individual like you. To this end, we strive to create an environment of mutual respect, encouragement and teamwork. As part of our global team, you'll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career.
Successful candidates will oversee development and implementation of global litigation strategies, guided by the need for multi-jurisdictional coordination of cross-border disputes.
- Retain and manage outside counsel world-wide and work with them on all aspects of mass tort and commercial litigation having significant U.S. implications from case inception through case closure including establishing case and alternative dispute resolution strategies; provide internal guidance to business and relevant stakeholders and implement litigation initiatives
- Estimate legal expenses on a quarterly basis; establish and manage litigation budgets that align with interests of business and maximize likelihood of successful outcomes; work creatively with outside counsel to minimize costs and fees
- Develop and/or coordinate preparation of weekly updates and other reports regarding status of significant cases or legal issues affecting the business
- Work closely and collaboratively with U.S. Litigation team, in-country attorneys, country managers and Public Affairs to ensure litigation strategy comports with overall business objectives
- Anticipate and mitigate legal problems and develop strategies to reduce potential areas of risk
- Investigate factual and other issues pertaining to mass tort and commercial litigation claims having significant U.S. implications and work closely with business units and in-country lawyers to properly defend and/or prosecute matters
- Assist other members of legal team as needed across all business units
- Perform risk assessments and determine when and how to resolve legal issues with input, as appropriate from key legal and other stakeholders
- Manage all aspects of international, multi-jurisdictional discovery pertaining to mass tort and commercial litigation having U.S. implications
- Reports to Managing Counsel of Litigation
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution
- Graduate of an accredited law school, with admission to Pennsylvania Bar, another state or foreign country
- Must be admitted and able to practice law in one or more jurisdictions domestically or internationally
- Five(5) or more years of litigation experience in a law firm or corporate setting that includes experience with Mass Tort litigation.
- Superior ability to analyze complex legal, business issues, outstanding writing and communication skills, a teamwork-oriented attitude, strong initiative and a proven ability to effectively manage outside counsel effectively and efficiently, consistent with applicable budgets
- Willingness and ability to quickly become proficient in new areas of legal practice
- Demonstrated ability to evaluate risks and exercise excellent legal judgment
- Must be team-oriented and have ability to work in a fast-paced environment with a solution-oriented approach to legal issues
- Maintain up-to-date understanding of litigation and the law applicable to same and proactively counsel business on legal developments potentially effecting company's legal and reputational status
- Experience managing a significant workload, with the ability to balance competing priorities in a fast paced and challenging environment.
- Some international travel required
- Successful candidate will work either in North Wales, Pennsylvania or Kenilworth, NJ office.
- Experience with Mass Tort litigation within the pharmaceutical industry
Our employees are the key to our company's success. We demonstrate our commitment to our employees by offering a competitive and valuable rewards program. Our Company's benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and many of the people that matter the most in their lives. If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at email@example.com. Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement