This attorney will provide primary legal support to State Street's Commercial Real Estate Lending team in Boston to build-up and maintain a large commercial real estate loan portfolio.
This attorney will work closely with the business legal compliance risk and operations colleagues. The position will require: (i) reviewing legal documents evidencing commercial real estate loans to ensure that they accurately reflect agreed terms are within market norms and are within the risk parameters of State Street; (ii) managing and supervising outside legal counsel; (iii) assisting colleagues in various divisions of State Street with legal analyses of the relevant commercial real estate loans (including transaction structure lien priorities of different creditors strength and weaknesses of indemnities and guarantees mortgages title insurance policies and environmental matters); (iv) assisting State Street in analyzing and satisfying all applicable state and Federal regulatory requirements directly or indirectly related to the commercial real estate lending program; and (v) assisting State Street in restructuring distressed commercial real estate loans.
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications and skills:
• Juris Doctorate from an accredited law school.
• License to practice in Massachusetts or other state of the United States
• 7+ years of work experience at a major law firm or in-house at a regulated financial institution focusing on commercial real estate lending matters (including drafting loan agreements guarantees mortgages intercreditor agreements and related documents reviewing title insurance policies possessing a deep understanding of real estate law and general familiarity with environmental laws).
• Some hands-on experience with restructuring of distressed commercial real estate loans including familiarity with lender liability issues.
• Strong client service problem-solving communication (written and oral) and interpersonal skills.
• Able to balance out competing demands/goals and provide practical sound and timely legal advice.
• Strong time management planning and organizational skills.
• Willingness to speak-up in an effort to achieve the correct
• Willingness to learn about new areas of the law in order to assist as needed colleagues supporting other areas of State Street.
A little about us:
We hire veterans to help us transform--improve and innovate--the way we run our business to face industry challenges head-on.