Cummins is a place big enough to coach and develop a global workforce and create the world's leading clean, engine technology. We're also small enough for you to find your fit and personal passion with a team of dependable, innovative thinkers who are developing their careers within a diverse, inclusive, empowering environment.
Learn more about this role and how you can begin Working Right .
Our Power Systems Business Unit delivers reliable, durable, high performing products to our global partners. Working in an innovative space, you'll develop high tech solutions that will fuel your advanced career skill set and empower you to own your career. Our integrated businesses demand the talents and creativity of individuals with a wide range of skills and experience.
This is an exciting opportunity in Columbus, Indiana for a Combustion Performance Engineer. Cummins USA is where you can work on industry leading engineering projects such as New Product Development, Value Package Introduction and Systems Product Validation.
Your impact will happen in these and other ways:
Skills and Experience Required: Skills
- Position calls for CPE responsibilities supporting engines.
- Able to function in a test cell environment, creating and executing test plans and analyzing test data.
- Carries some experience in project management and able to generate and deliver towards project time tables.
- Can execute 7-Step or other problem solving techniques and drive issues to full resolution.
- Able to identify and work thru engineering standard work tasks
- Can follow product development swim lanes, and engage with other functional teams as needed.
- Flexible to function in a dynamic work environment (e.g. support testing at different facilities, locally or remotely).
- Strives for continuous improvement.
- Applies basic knowledge of engineering principles and practices to assigned tasks in one of the following areas: combustion/performance/emissions, cool/lube/fuel systems, air handling, system integration, after treatment integration, cycle simulation, vehicle system simulation, combustion system simulation, flow simulation, filtration, or after treatment simulation.
- Uses prescribed and innovative methods, and works with limited guidance.
- Participates as a team member and actively contributes towards team goals.
- Carries out partially defined and moderately complex tasks.
- Demonstrates good understanding and applies knowledge of an engineering discipline.
- Applies engineering and/or scientific skills and continues to develop experience in creating engineering solutions.
Communication - Written And Verbal - Is able to effectively and clearly communicate in both written and verbal means.
Fundamentals of thermal and fluid sciences, and/or physical chemistry - Basic knowledge in the areas of thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, combustion, and/or physical chemistry. This knowledge includes both analytical and experimental applications. Ability to apply this knowledge to areas such as engines, after treatment systems, fuel systems, air handling systems, power generation and filtration systems.
Energy conversion systems knowledge - Basic energy conversion systems knowledge. Energy conversion systems knowledge includes an understanding of the working principles of power generation, including engines and systems related to engines, such as after treatment systems, air handling systems, fuel systems, and filtration systems.
Thermal and fluid science specialty of interest - Basic knowledge in a specialty of interest in the areas of thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, combustion, and/or physical chemistry. This area is a very broad, requiring focus on a subset within thermal and fluid sciences, with more detailed knowledge and the ability to apply this knowledge to the specific area of interest.
Teamwork skills - Cooperates with others, fully contributes to achieve the team goal. Experience
2 years post graduate work experience Required Education, Licenses or Certifications
Bachelor of Science (or equivalent degree) in Engineering required Compensation and Benefits
Base salary rate commensurate with experience. Additional benefits vary between locations and include options such as our 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan, Cash Balance Pension Plan, Medical/Dental/Life Insurance, Health Savings Account, Domestic Partners Coverage and a full complement of personal and professional benefits. Cummins and E-verify
At Cummins, we are an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer dedicated to diversity in the workplace. Our policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified persons without regard to race, gender, color, disability, national origin, age, religion, union affiliation, sexual orientation, veteran status, citizenship, gender identity and/or expression, or other status protected by law. Cummins validates right to work using E-Verify. Cummins will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm work authorization.
Ready to think beyond your desk? Apply for this opportunity to start your career with Cummins today. careers.cummins.com
Not ready to apply but want to learn more? Join our Talent Community to get the inside track on great jobs and confidentially connect to our recruiting team: http://connect.find.ly/cummins
No, this isn't one of those ordinary jobs.