Critical Infrastructure Mechanical Program Manager
Location: Redmond, Washington
Posted: January 29, 2018
Reference ID: 1083958
Microsoft Cloud Infrastructure and Operations (MCIO) is the engine that powers Microsoft's cloud services. The team is responsible for designing, building and operating our unified global datacenters; managing the demand planning and capacity utilization of our unified infrastructure; and responsible for all of the operations needed to run the physical infrastructure (including supply chain, hardware, power, security, and workflow teams).
We focus on smart growth with an emphasis on automation, data driven engineering, cost-effectiveness and environmental sustainability. We deliver the core infrastructure and foundational technologies for Microsoft’s over 200 online businesses including Bing, MSN, Office 365, Xbox Live, Skype, OneDrive and the Microsoft Azure platform. Our infrastructure is comprised of a large global portfolio of more than 100 datacenters and 1 million servers. Our portfolio is built and managed by a team of subject matter experts working 24x7x365 to support services for more than 1 billion customers and 20 million businesses in over 90 countries worldwide.
At the forefront of the action in MCIO is our Datacenter Operations Group! In the Critical Infrastructure Mechanical Program Manager role, as part of the Data Center Operations Critical Infrastructure Programs team, you will have an opportunity to work alongside a dynamic team of industry professionals across the Information Technology (IT) and CE spectrum, supporting 24x7x365 mission-critical Datacenters? (DC). Possessing a deep Mechanical systems knowledge and a wide range of electrical, plumbing, water treatment and Critical Environment controls knowledge will be crucial in your primary role of standardizing infrastructure equipment, processes, and workflows amongst the regional and program management office representatives.
Specific tasks will range from assisting with new facility design & commissioning, to driving cost/energy efficiency projects for operating and maintaining these systems. The sites for which you will be responsible will also vary greatly ranging from leased sites with traditional chilled water plants and Static UPS modules to owned sites with adiabatic cooling and no centralized UPS systems. Multi-discipline engineering prowess, interpersonal awareness, and communication skills will be pivotal in bringing your project management and technical abilities to life, supporting Microsoft’s success!
Skills, Qualifications, and Experience:
• 5+ years’ experience operating mission-critical, 24x7x365
facilities or Mechanical infrastructures
• 5+ years of engineering design experience is desirable
• 5+ years of construction experience is desirable
• 3+ years of experience working on large scale projects
• PMI Certification a plus
• Basic experience with physical IT infrastructures (e.g. Servers, SANs, Networking, etc.)
• Basic experience with the operation and maintenance of building cooling and related mechanical systems (HVAC, Chilled Water, DX Refrigerant, cooling and controls systems)
• Strong experience with the operation and maintenance of building electrical systems (Power distribution, lighting, grounding, fire alarm, security, life safety, and controls systems)
• Established understanding of Electrical Power Monitoring Systems (EPMS), Branch Circuit Monitoring (BCM), Building Automation Systems (BAS), and Battery Monitoring Systems (BMS)
• Strong knowledge of construction techniques, terminology, and documentation; ability to interpret blueprints, electrical one-lines, construction drawings etc.
• Strong Project Management experience to include managing cross functional, virtual teams
• Experience managing large scale enterprise programs from start to finish
• Ability to build positive relationships and develop support from a wide variety of stakeholders
• Strong executive and stakeholder communication/presentation skills
• Ability to manage projects in a matrixes team environment of FTEs and contractors
• Strong cross team collaboration skills and ability to build consensus across diverse groups
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
• Strong financial analysis skills
• Microsoft Project expertise experience is a plus
• Strong Word, Excel and PowerPoint skills with a view towards program communications
• B.S. degree in Electrical, Industrial, Mechanical or Process Engineering or related experience required
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to email@example.com.