Classify Grainger items and Grainger sourced items within the Harmonized Tariff Schedule (HTS) and Export Commodity Control Number (ECCN) (when applicable), including indicating special trade programs where applicable. Principal Duties & Responsibilities:
Preferred Education & Experience:
- Classify Items within the HTS for Duty, special trade programs and ensure long descriptions are accurate and complete
- Identifying applicable government agency requirements (FDA, FCC, DOT, TSCA, Lacy Act, etc.)
- Respond to daily classification inquiries from customs brokers, government agencies, internal customers and vendors.
- Research and resolve all issues relating to entry of merchandise
- Interpret the US Harmonized Tariffs along with their chapter and explanatory notes
- Apply ECCN (when applicable)
- Develop and retain audit trails to support the classification assigned and update classification database system
- Write requests for Customs Binding rulings
- Responsible for daily HTS audits
- Source Customs rulings to support classification determinations
- Ensures compliance with all federal regulatory guidelines
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Education - Bachelor's degree preferred.
- Experience - Experience in U.S. import regulations and ability to classify products in the Harmonized Tariff Schedule of the United States
- Required Skills
- Interpersonal skills and relationship building
- Communication and cross-functional collaboration
- Ability to articulate a problem and identify the root cause
- Exceptional organizational skills
- Ability to prioritize tasks
- Microsoft Excel, Access, and Powerpoint skills
- Experienced in Harmonized Tariff Schedule and Export Commodity Control Number classification of products, participating government agency rules and regulations for import and export of industrial products.
- Experience in licensing determination from the U.S. is a plus
- Training in the area of customs administration, in-depth knowledge of customs statutes and regulations (19CFR) with a proven ability for application in moderately complex business situations is also required.
- Understanding of U.S. Customs and Border Protection Regulations, including knowledge of Customs valuation and classification under the Harmonized Tariff Schedule, C-TPAT, ISA, FTAs, ISF, etc.
- Understand country of origin and marking issues, record keeping requirements, and supply chain security regulations as they relate to imports, etc.
- US import or US export customs regulatory / agencies experience desired
A little about us:
Grainger helps customers save time and money by providing them the right products to keep their facilities up and running.