Merck & Co., Inc., known as Merck in the US and Canada and MSD across the rest of the world, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company - one that is ready to help create a healthier future for all of us.
Our ability to excel depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, skill, diversity and teamwork of an individual like you. To this end, we strive to create an environment of mutual respect, encouragement and teamwork. As part of our global team, you'll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career.
The Vaccine Customer Representative is a key member of the Vaccine Horizontal Market Team and plays a critical role in supporting Merck Vaccines customer engagement model.
He/she is responsible for engaging with customers in a way that supports the local market focus on population health and centers on the highest potential business opportunities that will improve our impact on public health. He/she will work with the local market team to understand and identify customer needs, proactively align products and services, support pull-through activities relative to integrated strategies, and ensure that MV is viewed as demonstrating value and better health outcomes to healthcare professionals and their patients. Responsible for ensuring all activities adhere to the spirit and letter of all Merck Policies and US Laws and Regulations.
Primary activities include: Account Management / Contracting:
Understand multiple interdependencies within an account, consider customer healthcare goals and needs, and maximize account performance by building long-term relationships through collaborative business planning processes and approaches. This includes conducting customer business reviews with appropriate stakeholders discussing the financial impact of contracts and progress/results of targeted vaccine programs and previously identified opportunities to improve customer benefits.
- Understand complex account interdependencies in order to develop both short and long-term account plans in conjunction with a wide array of stakeholders, and lead a local account team's execution to deliver on the account plan.
- Work consistently with customers to demonstrate an understanding of and support for office vaccine protocols. Understand the role of each health care practitioner in the office (e.g., office manager, Medical Assistants, nurse, physician) as it relates to establishing and implementing the vaccine protocol.
- Provide information and resources that support the integration of a standard of care and the development and establishment of office vaccination protocols.
- Maintain complete knowledge and understanding of MV contract terms and conditions. Apply knowledge of contracts and historical ordering patterns to optimize vaccine purchases for customers and appropriate inventory in support of office protocols, vaccination goals, and seasonality in patient origination.
- Manage customer supply, product transition, and back-order challenges and communications.
- Develop annual portfolio-wide account strategy business plan with corresponding business case for top accounts.
- Establish and track account performance metrics to evaluate progress and performance, and to assess opportunity and need to adjust plans and associated tasks.
: Build trust with customers and demonstrate value in selling situations to deliver high-quality engagements or interactions that deliver products/solutions with the common goal of improving health outcomes in pediatric, adolescent, and adult populations and across diverse customer segments which may include private or public sector (state health departments, FQHCs, VISNs, VAs, Military, Pharmacy, etc.). Work cross functionally with each Merck Vaccine and USCO counterpart to provide support and resources that assist customers in achieving health outcomes.
Customer Segmentation & Targeting -
- Collaborate with customers through solid relationship management skills and leverage customer insights to provide comprehensive solutions to previously unmet and evolving healthcare needs with a focus on population health management.
- Understand and appropriately converse about current health care trends per company guidance, including: ACOs, PCMHs, HC Reform, Prevention & Wellness, etc.
- Change customer behaviors by understanding beliefs and experiences and providing appropriate insight that creates a different experience.
- Create a compelling and logical rationale for the value of Merck Vaccines (clinical) and Commercial Offers in support of patient health & wellness.
- Ask strategic, insightful questions to obtain information on customer healthcare needs, use the insights to position Merck vaccines and commercial offers, and collaborate with customers on a customized strategy.
Divide customer population into groups of individuals who share similar characteristics and buying behaviors, and apply this information to focus on groups effectively, allocate promotional resources, and drive execution of commercial plans
- Identify key customer segments, channels, and opportunities across the eco-system of patient care. Evaluate and prioritize business across many different types of customer segments including: public clinics, private systems, pharmacy, government, VA/military/CBOCs, FQHCs, etc.
- Divide a customer base into customer segments and apply the insights to effectively and differentially allocate marketing and field resources that drive execution of sales and marketing plans.
- Communicate Merck Vaccine clinical information and Commercial Offers in a way that's meaningful and relevant to each individual customer; customize discussions and client interactions based on understanding of customer's needs
- Engage in informed discussions about products with HCP customers - knowing when/how to seek and provide additional information
- Act as primary point of contact for customer, meet with key customers/personnel to understand practice structure, business model, key influencers: Managed Care Organization (MCO), employers, state and local policy)/network structure, customer needs and identify business opportunities
- Coordinate with customer team to develop customer strategy - outlining strategy for interactions/ relationship, solutions and potential offerings for customer
Territory: Northeastern MD including but not limited to Elkton, Havre de Grace.
The ideal location to reside is within this territory.
Travel (%) varies based on candidate's location within the geography.
This position is a Part time Job share opportunity at 50% FTE. Qualifications:
- Required: BA/BS
- Preferred: MBA/MS
- Experience working in one or more of the following areas: Pharmaceutical/Healthcare, Sales, Consulting, Customer Service or Military.
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral)
- Self- directed and organized
- Possess strong interpersonal and leadership qualities with demonstrated success in establishing and maintaining relationships in an academic or professional setting
- Excellent planning and organizational skills and good judgment
- Valid Driver's License
- Prior experience developing and executing plans for engaging customers and meeting customer needs
- Demonstrated success in establishing, developing and maintaining relationships
- Prior experience working in a highly regulated industry or environment where compliance to policies is critical
Our employees are the key to our company's success. We demonstrate our commitment to our employees by offering a competitive and valuable rewards program. Our Company's benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and many of the people that matter the most in their lives. If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement