This posting is for a Santa Clara (SCLA)-based New Product (NPI) instructor. This position is a combination technical instructor and technical expert role on existing and new products. The position is embedded in the business unit (BU) in SCLA in order to learn the new PLC/NPI products (i.e. the new chambers, new mainframes, and new tools) for the BU, gain experience on the startup and sustaining production tasks on the tool, and develop/deliver initial classroom and hands-on training on the tool. Once the tool transitions to volume production, the NPI instructor will train up the volume instructor, who then takes over the product from a training ownership standpoint.
Due to the scheduling of PLC/NPI product development, the NPI instructor will often be researching, gaining knowledge/experience, and developing/delivering for several new tools/chambers at a time, so project management, training/presentation experience, and technical experience (mechanical, electrical, etc.) of semiconductor equipment is required.
Basic breakdown of time is:
~60% learning the new tool and gaining knowledge and experience (mechanical, electrical, software, process, etc.)
~25% developing the course structure and materials
~15% delivering training or coordinating structured factory OJT Key Responsibilities
Qualifications: Tool Specific Required Experience:
- Conducts semiconductor equipment training needs assessment by collecting information pertaining to work procedures, work flow, and functional knowledge from the experts; understanding job-specific functions and tasks; maintains product technical knowledge sufficient to prepare and present defined product courses; disseminates new information to training and business unit staff
- Communicates with product groups to obtain current product information for course updates; manages multiple projects of diverse scope and complexity; directs project team members. Represents AGS TS at divisional meetings, external conferences and industry task force activities
- Determines system utilization requirements by researching and testing systems
- Utilizes Technical Publications and System Product Business Groups to maximize technical documentation efficiencies; occasionally develops customized training materials per customer needs; trains others in standard course development process/Instructional System Design (ISD); ensures the correct revisions of product procedures and schematics; identifies and corrects procedural issues with the business unit
- Lead NPI training development projects with minimal support; develops hardware training student guides by identifying and describing information needs; using basic desktop publishing (PowerPoint and Word); submitting initial versions for review; revising and editing final copy
- Maintains safe and healthy training environment by following organization standards and legal regulations; Provides technical expertise and troubleshooting skills to assist with system repairs; ensures system functionality can support course objectives; ensures all safety retrofits are installed on the training systems
- Presents technical training in house and at customer sites; conducts training classes by presenting job-specific classroom and hands-on learning environments and opportunities; manages classroom/lab activities to ensure fulfillment of course objectives; presents and practices safety per procedure; may train during off shift and/or weekends as assigned; actively certifies others; establishes new certification requirements; Evaluates training by evaluating effectiveness of training to specific job applications
- Provides coaching and leadership to other instructors; serves as mentor to less senior instructors for class delivery, technical development and certification; anticipates, prevents and resolves customer satisfaction issues.
- Ensures operation of equipment by completing preventive maintenance requirements; following manufacturer's instructions; troubleshooting malfunctions; calling for repairs; maintaining equipment inventories; evaluating new equipment and techniques
- Maintains quality service by establishing and enforcing organization standards; demonstrates knowledge and understanding of the AGS Training Services organization and operations and the AGS organization; informs customers of additional AGS TS courses/products available; assists Marketing in building customer relationships and selling AGS TS products; analyzes customer issues/needs to determine future training opportunities; deliver training solutions for customer needs
- Maintains technical and instructional knowledge by attending educational workshops, reviewing publications, etc.
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed
- May require both domestic and international travel (up to 40%)
- Required (300mm Endura 2 system and PVD, CVD/ALD chambers)
- Preferred (300mm Producer GT and Centura CVD systems)
- Bachelor degree in engineering, education, or training, PLUS 4 years of professional semiconductor equipment experience in installation, programming, safety, maintenance, operation, troubleshooting, and repair of semiconductor machinery equipment (such as robots, programmable controllers, power supplies, pneumatics, vacuum systems, power distributions, facilities, high voltage systems, high current systems, and robot controllers), following manuals, specifications, blueprints, and schematics, and using hand tools, measuring instruments, and testing equipment
- If no Bachelor's degree, 6 years of professional semiconductor equipment experience
- Nationally recognized certification in "Instructional Design" or 2 years of formal or informal experience in curriculum development and/or instructional design and required to attain CTT instructor certification within the first year
- 2 years of formal or informal experience in education, performance based training, or training/presentation delivery to external customers is desirable and required to attain FKA instructional Developer within the first year.
- Excellent communication, presentation, problem solving, teamwork and interpersonal communication skills; Resourceful, able to work and learn independently where necessary; Highly self-motivated and dedicated professional
- Presentation skills, written communication, training delivery, project/information management, self-development, presenting technical information, self-confidence, dealing with complexity, Microsoft Office skills
- Equipment use: office equipment, power supplies, oscilloscopes, logic analyzers, volt meters, soldering irons, hand tools, power tools, and personal computers
- Semiconductor equipment skills: operations, preventive maintenance, corrective maintenance, alignments, calibrations, and system-level troubleshooting skills on analog/digital electronics
- Knowledge of MS Windows applications and computer networking a plus
- Experience in e-Learning a plus
- Experience in videography and photography a plus
- Position requires the ability to travel for up to 60% in the first year while completing initial training.
- Position requires the ability to travel up to 40% after initial training while developing and delivering training.
Applied Materials is committed to diversity in its workforce including Equal Employment Opportunity for Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans and Individuals with Disabilities.
A little about us:
A global leader in materials engineering solutions for the semiconductor, flat panel display and solar photovoltaic (PV) industries.