POSITION SUMMARY :
The Operating Room Patient Care Technician is an unlicensed care giver who assists in maintaining a
safe and clean environment under the direction and supervision of the registered nurse. The PCT
assists in performing various patient care activities and related functions for children, adolescents, adults and geriatric patients. Performs functions in an organized manner and as appropriate to position and in compliance with the hospital policies and procedures. Works closely with physicians,
patients and their families. ESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES :
1. Participates in the implementation of patient care by performing direct and indirect patient care under the supervision of the RN.
- Assists with preoperative care of the surgical patient as requested.
- Transports patients to pre-op holding areas as directed by the RN.
- Demonstrates working knowledge of stretchers, cribs, beds and OR tables by positioning of patients and use of safety features according to age-specific needs of the patient.
- Assists surgical team with transfer of patients, holding limbs during prep, spinal anesthesia and operative procedures as directed by the appropriate medical personnel.
- Transports specimens and x-rays to the appropriate departments.
- Demonstrates working knowledge of basic surgical aseptic techniques
2. Responsible for housekeeping and maintaining a clean surgical environment.
- Cleans all flat surfaces and floors in the operating room at the beginning of each day and in between procedures.
- Cleans all surgical stretchers and redresses them for use.
- Provides environmental sanitation for common areas, ie., bathrooms, lounges, PACU, soiled utility room.
- Wipes down and maintains the cleanliness of specialty and general equipment before and after use in the OR.
- Empties trash and linen from all preoperative areas.
- Disposes of contaminated linen and waste.
- Terminally cleans OR rooms at the end of the day.
- Restocks all common areas maintaining orders, cleanliness, and PAR levels.
- Orders and stores clean linen and disposes of dirty linen.
- Stocks supplies in assigned rooms, outer core and sterile core as required by the department.
- Checks and restocks warming cabinets with saline, water and blankets.
3. Maintains current professional knowledge and skills in accordance with established departmental methods.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES :
- Displays a positive attitude and professional and courteous manner on a daily basis while performing job duties.
Must be able to demonstrate understanding of national patient safety initiatives by strict compliance to all safety protocols and procedures as required by both HCA and Round Rock Medical Center. Performs duties and follows directions as given by physicians and registered nurse. Interfaces with
Physicians, patients, patient families, and staff. Supports the hospital goals and mission.
Must be able to demonstrate understanding of HCA's and St. David's "Patients First" safety initiative by strict compliance to all safety protocols and procedures.Qualifications: EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE :
Required: High School Diploma or equivalent
Preferred: None LICENSES AND CERTIFICATES :
Required: AHA BLS at time of hire
A little about us:
HCA is the nation’s leading private provider of healthcare services. Comprised of locally managed facilities which include 230,000 employees at over 160 hospitals, over 120 surgery centers and 100 urgent care facilities in 20 states and the United Kingdom