The Analytic Services team develops statistical services and tools to integrate into Activision's games and their operations. Examples include anomaly detection, recommendation systems, and computer vision. We work at the interface of design, big data engineering, and math to help deliver epic entertainment experiences.
The team consists of a centralized group split between Boulder, CO and Santa Monica, CA, with several "embedded" members who sit at the various Activision game studios. The embedded members of Analytic Services work closely with the game development teams at the studios to support design decisions, build internal tools leveraging the resources available to the wider team, and bolster communication between the central group and the studio.
The team is looking for an embedded data architect at Sledgehammer Games. As a data architect on the Analytic Services team, your job is to oversee all aspects of analytics projects for Sledgehammer Games, including planning, budgeting, providing documentation, and often doing the analysis yourself. You will work closely with upper management, engineers, and game developers, both at the studio and at Activision headquarters, to make sure that the scope and direction of each project is on schedule and meets its stated goals.
The ideal candidate will have a background in mathematics and statistics, with some programming experience, and experience as project lead in the analytics space. Because you also understand gamers' mindset, you are reliably able to qualitatively balance requirements from studio leadership and from various business and technical units. Previous experience in the gaming industry is not required.
- Manage analytic projects and customer expectations
- Develop data architecture: review and refine data structures and schemas, gather new requirements and drive projects for downstream customers
- Work with game designers pre-launch to influence all aspects of the game with analytic results
- Work with game operators post-launch to optimize play balance, game economies, and to identify and close out exploits
- Deliver presentations on analytic topics and results
- Effectively communicate with other members of the team to build and implement analytic services
- BA/BS degree required with technical focus (e.g. computer science, physics), MS preferred
- Experience supervising technical teams
- Project management tools (e.g. JIRA)
- Software development and developer tools (e.g. Python, Jupyter notebooks, git, testing)
- Strong working knowledge of SQL and data transformations
- Experience with relational and non-relational databases (e.g. Postgres, Elasticsearch, Redis, Redshift)
- Any experience in the following areas is a plus:
- Microservice application architecture (e.g. Mesos, Marathon, Kubernetes)
- High performance computing (e.g. parallel computing, GPUs)
- Virtualized/containerized environments (e.g. EC2, Docker)
- Streaming data (e.g. Kafka, Kinesis)
Ask anyone... who works at Activision what their favorite thing about it is and they'll tell you: it's the people. We have a rigorous hiring process and a rigorous talent planning process. And that means if you're reading this, you're probably a pretty special talent. Our success doesn't come from assembly lines producing widgets. Our success comes from people producing greatness. So if you're interested in our biggest priority, it's the people. As a company, we have world class brands, infrastructure and resources. But we are nothing without your brilliance. What are you waiting for?
A little about us:
We are lucky to work in a business where imagination, creativity, and play aren't only encouraged, they're required.