BI Data Engineer
The Hartford's Personal Lines Business Intelligence and Analytics team is seeking a Data Engineer to support the Personal Lines organization.
The ideal candidate will have strong business acumen, superior technical ability, and be able to move seamlessly between fulfilling tactical requests and strategically driving the execution of the team vision.
The primary responsibility of the Data Engineer will be to ensure the PLBI team and all of Personal Lines has access to and realizes the maximum benefit of the data sources and BI tools available and to support the business as they search for actionable insights to optimize decision making.
The candidate should have a solid knowledge of internal Personal Lines data sources and be proficient at integrating and aggregating those sources. He or she understands how the data relates to the current operations and the effects that any future process changes will have on the use of data in the organization.
The candidate will work closely with our Performance Analytics, Information Delivery, Data Science teams, the business and technical partners to understand the data needs and leverage the BI technology stack to fulfill those needs.
Data Engineers are proficient in data warehouse and Big Data architecture, Business Intelligence tools and agile development methodologies.
They think critically to tackle complex challenges, thrive in a fast-paced environment and are seeking a high growth opportunity where they will have an immediate impact. RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Integrate and aggregate complex data from multiple data sources and platforms that enhance customer access to information and promote a data driven culture.
- Quickly assemble meaningful data sets where none are available to answer complex business questions. Own the BI technology stack; partnering with EDO to ensure the technologies and platforms Personal Lines relies on are available, stable, and delivering the necessary business value.
- Liaison to enterprise technical partners in all matters concerning data management, data quality, and platform/servers that would impact Personal Lines.
- Build and foster relationships with Personal Lines's technical partners.
- Contribute to or act as the Personal Lines Data Steward, monitoring data quality, evaluating the completeness and strategic soundness from a business perspective of any requested warehouse enhancements.
- Subject matter expert in at least 2, preferably 3 of the following: Tableau(Desktop and Server), SAS, SQL, R, data warehouse concepts and architecture, agile software development, performance testing and tuning
- Takes on the role of subject matter expert for Personal Lines data and projects
- Technical knowledge: 3- 5years experience with various tools used for data exploration and business intelligence (e.g. Toad, SQL, Oracle, SAS, R, Business Objects, MSBI, Tableau, Qlik, MicroStrategy, Alteryx)
- Solid knowledge on ETL process.
- Knowledge on Informatica is a plus.
- Good understanding and experience with data modeling.
- Advanced knowledge of SQL and data warehouse design and usage.
- Experience in writing shell scripts and job automation thru Autosys scheduler.
- Highly analytical person equally comfortable coding and interacting with business partners
- Analytical, creative, and innovative approach to solving problems
- Positive, people-oriented, and energetic attitude
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment and independently
- Strong written and verbal communication to interact effectively with both technical and non-technical users at all levels of the organization
- Must be able to work on multiple concurrent projects
- Entrepreneurial spirit - self-motivated, strong sense of ownership/accountability, and results oriented with the ability to manage time and schedules effectively
- Deals with issues in a proactive manner
- Accepts challenges and change
- Willingness to learn new technologies/methodologies and apply them
- Ability to understand and follow guidelines and standards
- Proven negotiation ability
- Customer focus: strives to give customers the best service and takes the initiative to add value
- Knowledge of Personal Lines data landscape
- Knowledge of server platforms(UNIX, LINUX, Windows) a plus