Fueled by a fundamental belief that having access to financial services creates opportunity, PayPal (NASDAQ: PYPL) is committed to democratizing financial services and empowering people and businesses to join and thrive in the global economy. Our open digital payments platform gives PayPal's 210 million active account holders the confidence to connect and transact in new and powerful ways, whether they are online, on a mobile device, in an app, or in person. Through a combination of technological innovation and strategic partnerships, PayPal creates better ways to manage and move money, and offers choice and flexibility when sending payments, paying or getting paid. Available in more than 200 markets around the world, the PayPal platform, including Braintree, Venmo and Xoom enables consumers and merchants to receive money in more than 100 currencies, withdraw funds in 56 currencies and hold balances in their PayPal accounts in 25 currencies.
This position is for PayPal's Enterprise Data Services (EDS) under Enterprise Core Services (ECS), an organization focused on delivering enterprise solutions using modern technology to serve the various needs of the business. At EDS, we are committed to bringing innovation, passion and customer focus to the business of enterprise solutions.
The charter of ECS is deliver on data driven companywide transformational initiatives like the data lake to integrate data from cross property seamlessly using big data technology and serve through a common model as the data glue. In this role, you will get an opportunity to work closely with Venmo stakeholders closely to integrate, orchestrate, and enable critical use case across multiple business partners all over PayPal delivering value through the power of data. This position requires an individual who is comfortable working in cross-functional teams with a very high degree of technical and product management skills.Areas of focus:
Engineering: Works with PayPal business units and Product Dev teams to design, develop and deliver data solutions on one of the largest data platforms in the world.
Business Support: Supports PayPal business units by providing data in a ready-to-use form to data analysts and data scientists for Business insights, predictive analytics, machine learning, etc.
Owns and is accountable for the design and development of a Data solution feature or a Data Pipeline
Develops data pipelines/ETL code for solving various data requirements using traditional ETL tools and big data tools but also has experience & skills for building custom data pipelines.
Recognized as the go-to developer for a product or major sub-system and is seen as a leader in their specialized field.
Participates in architecture discussions, proposes and discusses solutions to system and product changes that are directly related to their area of focus.
Responsible for managing multiple Applications, providing necessary support and maintenance activities.
Should be comfortable working in an agile environment and with cross-functional teams, should have appetite to learn and be flexible to pick up new technology. Responsibilities:
- Can be relied on to deliver a data pipeline on time and to requirements, without data quality issues.
- Leads the team, and contributes effectively to the success of those that they interact with regularly.
- Can triage and resolve data / process issues
- Helps to resolve site data base issues and SLA, ATB impacts.
- Familiar with various big data technologies, open source data processing frameworks.
- Good understanding of data processing, data structure optimization and design for scalability.
- Good understanding of REST-oriented APIs, understanding of distributed systems, data streaming,
NoSQL solutions for creating and managing data integration pipelines for Batch and Real Time Data needs.
- Excellent communication and team player skills to collaborate with cross functional teams for successful delivery of Data solutions.
- Understanding of version control systems, particularly GIT.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Good understanding of database principles and SQL beyond just data access.
- Expert in multiple Programming/scripting languages, i.e. Unix/Linux Shell Scripting, Perl, Python, C++, Java, Python, Ruby, Scala, etc.
- Intermediate level knowledge on following technologies, with expertise on few of them:
- Spark with Python or Scala
- Scripting (Shell, Python, Java)
- Database fundamentals (mysql, MongoDB, Cassandra)
- Hadoop echo system
- Elastic search
- Bachelor Science degree in Computer Science or equivalent
- 7+ years' experience in software development and 3+ years as a data engineer on Hadoop/Data Lake
- Excellent English written and oral communication skills
- Experience in large organizations including managing dependencies across business units
- Master of Science or MBA degree
We're a purpose-driven company whose beliefs are the foundation for how we conduct business every day. We hold ourselves to our One Team Behaviors which demand that we hold the highest ethical standards, to empower an open and diverse workplace, and strive to treat everyone who is touched by our business with dignity and respect. Our employees challenge the status quo, ask questions, and find solutions. We want to break down barriers to financial empowerment. Join us as we change the way the world defines financial freedom.
PayPal provides equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, PayPal will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.
Help us reinvent money. At PayPal, we're looking for global thinkers who can invent new ways to make money safe and accessible for people everywhere.