We are Farmers!
Join a team of diverse professionals at Farmers to apply your learned knowledge and acquire skills on the job to fulfill roles at Farmers. Farmers Insurance also offers extensive training opportunities through the award winning University of Farmers named by Training magazine amongst top 10 corporate training units in the world. Start your career at Farmers today! Job Summary
The data modeler is responsible for understanding business requirements and data architecture / design, and translating into an aligned and supportive data model. Responsible for separating different types of data into structures and patterns, and then into conceptual and logical data models. Focus on very specific functional and non-functional concerns in the way data is persisted and migrated. Ability to work with both the data architecture and DBA teams. Owns all data models, responsible for continuous optimization and improvements through each new project. Essential Job Functions
Preferred Skills and Abilities
- Design data models and architectures, translating data so that it can be read by various types of computer systems.
- Design and build databases which can be used to support the larger data architecture.
- Responsible for the development of database archive and recovery design.
- Responsible for building data dictionaries and meta-data technical repositories to improve the overall end-to-end data function.
- Work closely with the DBA team, recommending data restructuring, clean-up, and other maintenance to ensure maximum performance with minimized overhead.
- Identify areas in which policy or procedure changes could improve the way we operate.
- Develop best practices and standard naming conventions and coding practices to ensure consistency of data models.
- Recommend opportunities to reuse data models across the landscape.
- Ability to reverse engineer physical data models from databases and SQL scripts.
- Develop and govern against a set of well-defined and approved data modeling best practices and principles.
- Guide developers and DBAs on the functional and non-functional limitations and capabilities of the model.
- Responsible for the creation and governance against a set of well-defined data model naming conventions.
- Respond to Production Support issues.
- Conduct preliminary estimates / Rough Order of Magnitude for the level of effort of new models and changes to existing models.
- Analyze and make recommendations for the need for system backup, security, restart/recovery, balancing & controls; recommend approaches for meeting such needs.
- Analyze and document the requirements and approaches to data conversion and data modeling.
- Design, develop, and maintain data model documentation.
- Perform preliminary evaluation of pre-packaged data models and software.
- Support implementation/training activities.
- Troubleshoot data model issues, as required.
- Experience in meta-data management and data integration engines (i.e. Informatica).
- Experience in modeling best practices and differences between operational and analytical purposes.
- Possesses experience or knowledge in DB2, Oracle, Exadata, SQL Server, and HANA.
- Exhibits knowledge of the entire end-to-end SDLC process.
- Understands BI tools and technologies and how they interact with the underlying data models.
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent or specific relevant experience. Experience Requirements:
Level III: 4 years of experience in application development/testing or business/system analysis or 1 year as an Application Developer Level Il.
3-5 years doing data modeling for systems that go into production. Special Skill Requirement
May require occasional travelling.
Good written and oral skills in local language.
English: Level-1: Able to give information in English and passively participate in team meetings. Understands routine business conversations and letters and is able to communicate with few errors. Level 2: take part in meetings and discussions and give information about own area of expertise, able to compose memos, simple letters and short texts. Level-3: Able to actively take part in meetings and conferences and communicate effectively. Capable of composing reports and technical explanations. Level-4: Able to participate in and facilitate discussions with complex content. Composes reports with almost no grammatical errors and can communicate proficiently. Farmers is an equal opportunity employer, committed to the strength of a diverse workforce.
A little about us: