At Monsanto Vegetable Research and Development,
we are dedicated to feeding a growing planet by sustainably increasing the availability of nutritious, high-quality fruits and vegetables around the world.
We are looking for a creative and highly motivated Data Scientist
to join the world-class experts in genetics, genomics, breeding, and data science who are transforming vegetable research. This is a fantastic opportunity to gain hands on experience while collaborating on cutting edge research projects involving advanced statistical analysis, automation and data visualization with a real-world impact.
This role is located in Woodland, California and will support Statistics and Digital Innovations for Global Vegetable Research and Development which spans from Discovery (trait genetics and plant pathology) to Breeding (pedigree integrity, data informed breeding decisions, building and leveraging GWS data) to Technology Development and Commercial launch (phase advancement decisions and global portfolio management). You will help build capabilities and develop tools that unlock beneficial traits from entire crop genomes, create applications to drive infield decisions for breeders, drive analytics on large multi-year datasets, and build on industry-leading trait genetics.
This position will collaborate with colleagues across Monsanto Technology, Breeding, Climate Corp, and Enterprise Software Development to support and leverage innovations in advanced data sciences, IT, genomics, operations research, and engineering and automation. Why work with us?
In over 60 countries, we have created industry-leading products because we give professionals the freedom to make real decisions. Monsanto is recognized as a Science Magazine Top Ten Employer, one of the Top 25 Best Multinational Workplaces, and Computerworld's 100 Best Places to Work in IT.Responsibilities
• Work with geneticists, statisticians, breeders, IT, and technical leadership to solve data analysis challenges, create visualizations, enable higher levels of analysis and automation
• Pilot advanced analytics methods, communicate their effectiveness, enable their deployment, and promote their adoption
• Represent Vegetable R&D in the Data Science community, and leverage global standards, methods, and capabilities to meet Veg R&D challenges
• Develop tools and applications that drive data informed decisions across the pipeline.
• Contribute to mobile application development to help better capture and utilize data in the field
• Drive excellent IT and analytics citizenship by advocating good practices in local development which support the larger strategy for the digital transformation of Ag.Required Skills:
- PhD or Masters (+3 yrs experience) in Statistics, Computer Science, Bioinformatics, or other quantitative disciplines
- Demonstrated passion and success in pursuing advanced statistical problems with complex data sets and experience programming in R, Python or Julia
- Knowledge of genetics, molecular biology, genomics, and associated analytic processes
- Experience with developing and maintaining different databases, including working knowledge of SQL, relational data stores, and NoSQL databases
- A bi lity to develop custom user interfaces and visualizations for broad consumption of data and analysis
- Extensive knowledge about APIs. Ability to work with RESTful services and integrate with other data providers. AWS and Google cloud
- Excellent analytics and software development practice; the ability and desire to coach and learn from other excellent practitioners
- Exceptional leadership, verbal and written communication, interpersonal skills and problem solving skills such as required to negotiate scope/resources, manage, and project status, and synchronize activities with team members, stakeholders, and management
- A consistent record of delivering impactful results, such as publications in leading scientific journals or contribution to open source software projects
At Monsanto, we believe that diverse perspectives solve big challenges and deliver a broad range of solutions to help nourish our growing world.