At Microsoft, a great deal of effort is spent on using masses of data to guide product and business decisions. Our team is the Consumer Data and Analytics team and we are focused on providing analysis and data science capabilities impacting Microsoft’s consumer product and marketing efforts.
We are looking for an experienced Data Scientist who can work across a range of problem areas using petabytes of data to discover insights which answer key product usage and business questions. The ideal candidate should be self-directed, entrepreneurial, and focused on delivering the right results, not simply building software.
Candidates should be able to apply a breadth of tools, data sources, and analytical techniques to answer a wide range of high-impact business questions and present the insights in a concise and effective manner. Technical aptitude and familiarity with common data mining and statistical packages is required. As well, the candidate should be an effective communicator capable of independently driving issues to resolution and communicating insights to non-technical audiences.
• Work closely with engineering team to identify and answer important product questions
• Research, evaluate, implement, and present statistical methods to provide actionable insights.
• Define new metrics and help drive feature teams to use the right metrics to improve their product.
• Gather and manage large datasets from multiple sources.
• Data conditioning - transform data into a usable state using appropriate tools and techniques
• Research new ways for modeling and predicting end-user behavior.
• Lead investigations into multiple streams of product data.
• Evolve and enhance systems and tools for agile data analysis and visualization.
• Communicate findings to product managers and engineers
Required qualifications include:
• Master's degree in applied mathematics, statistics, machine learning, engineering, economics, social sciences, or related fields is required (PhD preferred).
• 2+ years of experience solving analytical problems using quantitative approaches
• Strong SQL knowledge
• Knowledge of an analysis tool such as R, Matlab, Python or SAS
• Comfort manipulating and analyzing complex, high-volume, high-dimensionality data from varying sources
• Online experimentation and associated statistical models e.g. A/B testing
• A strong passion for empirical research and for answering hard questions with data
• A flexible analytic approach that allows for results at varying levels of precision
• Ability to communicate complex quantitative analysis in a clear, precise, and actionable manner
• Fluency with at least one scripting language
• Experience working with large data sets, experience working with distributed computing tools a plus (Map/Reduce, Hadoop, Hive, etc.)
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to email@example.com.