Data Scientist 3
Oracle is funding an internal initiative to enable collaboration and accelerate research around cancer. It is an extremely ambitious project that brings assets from across the corporation to provide researchers a private area for them to conduct their research. In exchange we will curate their data, anonymize it, and aggregate it into a massive data warehouse that can be accessed by all the players in the ecosystem (researchers in academic centers, pharma, payers, clinicians providing care, etc.). Our goal is to provide the infrastructure to make research more efficient, but also to provide the means for cancer patients to get the best treatments available and to help them and their physicians stay current with the latest research.
Our team will be driving the creation of content and knowledge within this product initiative. We will be at the cutting edge of data acquisition, integration and curation for all types of data necessary to support cancer research, clinical research, and cancer therapeutic development. We will leverage assets from inside and outside to company to ensure the best options are available to our constituents.
The Cloud Data Curation team is looking for Scientists (MS or PhD) with strong backgrounds in cancer clinical research. Scientists will be expected to research, read, and curate the scientific literature about cancer. In addition, Scientists will work as a part of teams developing tools and knowledge from all data sources (structured and unstructured) that contribute to enabling and advancing cancer research. Working in the context of teams, members of the Cloud Data Curation team will define data sources, data extraction and knowledge creation paradigms based on customer needs.
This role requires the ability to work within an agile team framework and to focus on details as well as the bigger picture. Very strong team skills are absolutely required. The successful candidate will be expected to read and curate the scientific literature and other data sources regarding cancer, covering the spectrum from sequenced mutations through biological pathways to clinical treatment. S/he will discover and define data sources to include in this new cloud offering, and work with other team members to meld those sources into the Cloud offering to provide valuable knowledge to customers. The successful candidate will immerse themselves in the latest discoveries and technologies in the field of cancer clinical research to gain understanding of the trajectory of cancer research. Some travel to scientific conferences and customer sites is expected.
• Curate the scientific literature about cancer.
• Discover and define data sources (structured and unstructured) and develop reproducible processes for extraction of relevant data
• Working within cross-functional teams, help define tools and processes for curation of source data into the Cloud offering
• Provide creative scientific direction to cross-functional teammates
• Validate product with users/user communities
• Make solid prioritizations for your work to meet project objectives
• Previous laboratory cancer experience.
• Previous experience in curation of data in the field of cancer clinical research
• Knowledge of Genomics, Proteomics, Metabolomics and other "-omics" technology
• Skill and desire to keep abreast of new discoveries and technologies in the cancer clinical research area.
• Demonstrated ability to thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced environment where iterative design and development approaches are followed
• Self-directed, with the ability to break down goals and objectives into a reliable work plan
• Good communication and diplomacy skills
• Strong empathy for customers of the Cloud of Collaborative Cancer Research Treatment, including cancer patients, researchers, oncologists, and drug developers
• Working knowledge of bioinformatics software, including genomics sequencing processes and pipelines, proteomic
• Software development experience, including scripting is considered a plus
• These roles are expected to grow into managerial roles in the future, so previous managerial experience is considered a plus
Top 3 skill sets / technologies in the ideal candidate:
1. Ability to read, understand and synthesize cancer clinical research articles and other sources of data on cancer.
2. Ability to create reproducible processes
3. Working knowledge of software, bioinformatics and data science, including data models, data types, vocabularies, agile methodology, scripting, and standards.
Designs, develops and programs methods, processes, and systems to consolidate and analyze unstructured, diverse "big data" sources to generate actionable insights and solutions for client services and product enhancement.
Interacts with product and service teams to identify questions and issues for data analysis and experiments. Develops and codes software programs, algorithms and automated processes to cleanse, integrate and evaluate large datasets from multiple disparate sources. Identifies meaningful insights from large data and metadata sources; interprets and communicates insights and findings from analysis and experiments to product, service, and business managers.
Leading contributor individually and as a team member, providing direction and mentoring to others. Work is non-routine and very complex, involving the application of advanced technical/business skills in area of specialization. 8 years relevant work experience. BS/BA preferred.
Oracle is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability and protected veterans status or any other characteristic protected by law.