Blizzard Entertainment games don't just begin with game ideas, or end once those games are released. A lot more goes into the creation of a Blizzard product than the work of developers-and we support our games for years after they're in the hands of gamers world-wide.
Blizzard Entertainment is looking for a data scientist to join our global insights team to partner with our Finance Analytics. The ideal candidate has a strong technical background in machine learning, data mining, statistics or a related quantitative field and has the ability to carry out innovative research and development using advanced statistical modeling techniques. Responsibilities
- Research and develop state-of-the-art machine learning, data mining and statistical modeling solutions to understand game design, system performance and key business behaviors, such as player acquisition, retention, and winback.
- Analyze and extract key insights and patterns from Blizzard's rich collections of petabytes of gameplay and operational data.
- Design and develop innovative predictive models for applications like matchmaking, recommendation systems, targeted marketing, etc.
- Work closely with data and systems engineers to deploy and maintain models seamlessly on production systems.
- Establish scalable, automated processes for large scale data extraction, model development, model validation and model implementation.
- Effectively translate statistical findings into actionable recommendations for senior leaders on game design and business teams.
- Master's Degree with a specialization in Machine Learning, Statistics, Applied Math, or in a related quantitative field or equivalent work experience.
- Expertise in machine learning and statistical analysis approaches such as classification, clustering, regression, statistical inference, collaborative filtering, natural language processing, experimental design, social networking analysis, etc.
- Able to invent and prototype novel machine learning algorithms from scratch
- Experience developing and implementing machine learning models on large scale data sets
- Expertise in automating and deploying models in production systems
- Strong problem solving skills
- Proficient with programming languages like Python, Java or C
- Strong programming and prototyping skills in R or MATLAB
- Expertise with SQL, MPP and NoSQL databases
- Expertise with Big Data and Hadoop tech stack (HDFS / Map Reduce / Mahout / Hive / Spark)
- Experience with data visualization tools like Tableau
- Strong written and spoken communication skills
- Passion for video games
Required Application Materials
- Experience with Blizzard Entertainment games
- A proven track record of original contributions to machine learning and statistics
- Cover Letter which should include:
- Why you are interested in working at Blizzard
- What games you are currently playing
**Only submittals with Cover Letters will be considered.
Blizzard Entertainment is a global company committed to growing our employees along with the business. We offer generous benefits and perks with an eye on providing true work / life balance. We've worked hard to foster an intensely collaborative and creative environment, a diverse and inclusive employee culture, and training and opportunity for professional growth. Our people are everything. Our core values are real, and our mission has never changed. We are dedicated to creating the most epic entertainment experiences...ever. Join us!
A little about us:
Blizzard Entertainment is a premier developer/publisher of entertainment software, including World of Warcraft, StarCraft, Diablo, and Hearthstone.