At Microsoft, we are committed to the mission of helping our customers realize their full potential. We are motivated and inspired every day by how our customers use our software, services and devices to find creative solutions to business problems, develop breakthrough ideas, and stay connected to what’s most important to them.
As winners of the 2012 Best Places to Work, we are equally committed to ensuring our employees have the working environment and the resources to succeed and develop as professionals in their disciplines. The Customer and Market Research team is one of the largest market research departments in the world and serves the company’s core businesses. We are based at our HQ in Redmond, WA. We are close to and in constant contact with our business partners and our work has global reach and impact. Our people are research professionals with a strong consultative approach who thrive on tackling significant business opportunities and influencing decision makers at all levels. They are intellectually curious, analytical, impact driven, persistent, and not shy about sharing their opinions and recommendations. And, they are passionate about developing themselves, their careers and their profession.
We are seeking an experienced data science professional that can support Microsoft’s Lifetime Value practice. The role will influence decisions across Marketing, Finance and Engineering. Candidates will need to help us reach into new data streams and extract value, understand behaviors and patterns within data, and design models that enhance understanding and drive change. This role is directly responsible for developing both internal and external resources in support of our practice. This is a transformative agenda and role that is critical to our organization and Microsoft as a whole. This requires a candidate with great collaboration skills and an ability to work across internal marketing, finance and engineering organizations. The candidate will have a history of deep data processing skills, a creative and analytic mind, and be solution-oriented. This is about making a difference by developing scalable solutions, generating valuable insight, and using analytic tools to uncover unknowns. The candidate must be a team-minded person who doesn’t need to “own” everything in order to drive better outcomes for the business and for (and within) the team.
• Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Statistics, Economics or Computer Science
• 4+ years of experience in research or business roles
• Proficiency with SQL required, experience with R, SAS or Python also preferred
• Previous experiences dealing with large data sets is a must; data architecture, management and storage experience preferred.
• Applies (or develops if necessary) tools and pipelines to efficiently collect, clean, and prepare massive volumes of data for analysis.
• Solid foundation of statistical modeling, machine learning algorithms and experimental design applied to real world problems
• Transforms formulated problems into implementation plans for experiments by applying (and creating when necessary) the appropriate methods, algorithms, and tools, and statistically validating the results against biases and errors.
• Interprets results and develops insights into formulated problems within the business/customer context and provides guidance on risks and limitations.
• Validates, monitors, and drives continuous improvement to methods, and proposes enhancements to data sources that improve usability and results.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to email@example.com.
A little about us:
Microsoft offers training and employment opportunities to help you turn your military experience and skills into a civilian technology career.