Data Scientist Intern - Columbia University
Capital One is a diversified bank that offers a broad array of financial products and services to consumers, small business and commercial clients. Ranked #127 on the Fortune 500, Capital One has one of the most widely recognized brands in America. As one of the nation’s top 10 banks, we offer a broad spectrum of financial products and services to consumers, small businesses and commercial clients. We nurture a work environment where people with a variety of thoughts, ideas and backgrounds, guided by our shared Values, come together to make Capital One a great company and a great place to work. At Capital One, data is at the center of everything we do. When we launched as a startup we disrupted the credit card industry by individually personalizing every credit card offer using statistical modeling and the relational database, cutting edge technology in 1988! Fast-forward a few years, and this little innovation and our passion for data has skyrocketed us to a Fortune 200 company and a leader in the world of data-driven decision-making. As a Data Scientist Intern at Capital One, you’ll be part of a high-performing team that’s embracing the latest in computing technologies to unlock opportunities that help everyday people save money and improve their financial lives.
You'll help our customers solve their financial services challenges by using groundbreaking techniques. You'll make valuable contributions from day one by continuously learning, engaging in diverse sets of experiences and building close-knit relationships across the company.
On any given day you might:
We'd love to find someone who is…
1. Curious. You ask why, you explore, and you are excited to imagine and create new ideas by inventing self-adaptive models or by tapping into unstructured data sources. You're also excited to try new tools or technologies.
2. Data Savvy. You are passionate about moving data from a database or an API and transforming it into everyday language.
3. A do-er. You love trying new things, even if you sometimes fail.
Are you ready to join a community of people like you - ones who embrace customer problems and use their passion and capabilities to make a difference every single day?
• Have obtained or will obtain a master’s degree in a quantitative field of study between December 2017 and August 2018 from Columbia University
• At least 6 months of experience or course work in open source programming languages for data analysis
• At least 6 months of experience or course work in inferential statistics or machine learning
• Direct experience with either Python or R, plus one other general purpose programming language such as Java or C/C++
• Experience or course work with relational databases
• Experience or course work with large scale data analysis
Capital One will consider sponsoring a new qualified applicant for employment authorization for this position.