The Hartford's CTO Database team is seeking a Database Manager to support IMS and DB2 DBMS at The Hartford. The successful candidate will have a key role in supporting non-production mainframe databases and provide consulting for the production databases. The candidate will need to develop a working relationships with peers in the technology and the Personal and Business Insurance organizations in order to effectively develop sustainable technical solutions. Based in Charlotte, NC or Windsor, CT the individual contributor role will support the current and new database mainframe technologies. This DBA will be responsible for guiding and partnering with security, storage, and programming development teams for solutions to build and improve their applications.
This position requires a committed and self-motivated individual contributor that will be part of an Application Database Administrator team. The team is responsible to analyze, develop and maintain complex backend IMS and DB2 databases on z/OS in support of the Consumer Lines, Commercial Lines and Claims business applications for The Hartford as well as maintain existing front end oracle applications. In this role, this individual will partner and collaborate with the Application DBAs and work closely with program leads, architects, data modelers, application developers, and business subject matter experts to create and maintain database designs for business and enterprise projects in accordance with Hartford best practices and published standards. MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assist with design, development and implementation of database architecture and database solutions for new "Speed-to-Market" SOA-based Agile projects underway
- Assist with the analysis and end-to-end execution of database upgrades
- Drive design, build and management of large, complex IMS and DB2 databases running on IMS V13 and DB2 V11 environments on z/OS
- Lead analysis of business and application requirements to translate into new or modified database or data capabilities
- Educate and influence stakeholders to promote an understanding of the environments, increase simplification, risk management, and promote reuse and innovation.
- Maintain and develop database design within the business and IT teams to ensure system availability, performance, and data quality.
- Work to reduce complexity and cost in database environments through analysis and implementation of database consolidation and rationalization.
- Participate in technology governance processes - Architecture Review Board - to ensure compliance with HIG architecture and data standards and strategies.
- Collaborate and participate in application release planning and implementation.
- Work with HIG onshore and offshore database partners to ensure availability, performance, quality, and Service Level Agreement specifications.
- Work closely with business and architecture teams to properly engineer effective database solutions that ensure reliability, quality, and scalability.
- Establish and maintain partnerships and relationships with HIG Service Towers, business and application managers and teams.
- Own and represent database solutions within the CTO Architecture Review Board.
- Create and maintain metrics to demonstrate the team's effectiveness at delivering on HIG priorities including simplification, standards, reduced cost, and database and platform rationalization.
- Model behavior that exemplifies leadership, excellence, and collaboration
- Debug/resolve IMS system issues.
- Assist developers in the build of IMS code in COBOL modules.
- Enhance existing database designs for improved longevity, reduced maintenance, and improved performance
- Assist with the creation and enhancement of cross-functional database systems
- Participate in database design forums in areas of expertise
- Resolve complex incidents (e.g. security, performance tuning)
- Assist with the evaluation and implementation of new product features to tailor solutions for database requirements
- Assist with enforcing database processes, procedures, best practices, standards and SLAs
- Maintain awareness of industry best practices
- Mentor less experienced staff, and resolve escalated issues
- Learn, understand and champion CMMi/ITIL frameworks
- Actively participate in required staff performance assessments, training and learning plans
- Integrate process improvements into the way we do our work
- Understand responsibilities of function, and change work process to align with revised role descriptions and staff in all phases of the development and implementation process
- Strong Knowledge of IMS on z/OS DB & DC
- Strong Knowledge of IMS BMPs and DLI batch processing
- Familiarity with IMS reorg tools (NEON/BMC/IBM)
- Knowledge of logical/physical IMS database structures.
- Experience on DB2 database on z/OS and COBOL programming
- Experience on RACF or a similar mainframe security product
- Experience with restore/repair databases
- Some Experience with Oracle database
- Create and maintain application database disaster recovery plans
- Performance monitoring and tuning processes
- Create or maintain database-related application documentation
- Use of Mainview/Omegamon for IMS or similar performance monitoring tool
- Requires at least 3 plus years of experience maintaining IMS databases
- Requires strong organizational and communication skills with the ability to handle multiple priorities
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or a related discipline and at least four or more years of solid, diverse work experience in IT, database management, system administration or an equivalent combination of education and work experience
Individual who is proactive, responsive, has a continuous improvement mindset, is team oriented, is a strong and effective communicator, has a positive attitude, is customer focused, is an effective listener, and strong at handling multiple priorities. PLEASE NOTE: THIS ROLE MAY BE FILLED AS A TIER 7 OR TIER 8, DEPENDENT ON EXPERIENCE What criteria do we use to Assess, Hire, Develop & Reward our workforce?
• Data Analysis-
Input, understand, analyze and act on data
• Business Owner Mindset-
Operate with keen business knowledge,
expense, risk & controls driven mindset
Influence through a consultative approach
• Customer Driven-
Focus on "Harvest" - (our enterprise continuous
improvement effort), innovative problem solving, and efficient local
decision making for continuous improvement
• Growth & Development-
Maximize development of self and others What Else Can You Tell Me?
The Hartford is committed to the education and growth of our Information Technology Professionals. A number of IT Certifications are available to enhance your career and growth potential. IT Professionals at The Hartford may qualify for a stipend up to $1000 per year for additional certifications Behaviors at the Hartford
• Deliver Outcomes - Demonstrate a bias for speed and execution that serves our shareholders and customers.
• Operate as a Team Player - Work together to drive solutions for the good of The Hartford.
• Build Strong Partnerships - Demonstrate integrity and build trust with others.
• Strive for Excellence - Motivate yourself and others to achieve high standards and continuously improve.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity or Expression/Religion/Age
** NO AGENCIES PLEASE **