Microsoft Cloud Infrastructure and Operations (MCIO) group plans, delivers, and operates Microsoft’s cloud infrastructure to bring compute capacity to over 200 Microsoft internet/web properties worldwide. Within MCIO, our Global Datacenter Operations (GDCO) team delivers trustworthy and reliable cloud services through safe, flawless, and efficient operation of our global datacenters.
GDCO is looking for a Learning & Development (L&D) Trainer to support our datacenter teams. You will be part of a distributed community of training and facilitation focused peers around the globe, including other datacenter L&D Trainers, a half dozen other Regional L&D Program Managers supporting other regions worldwide, and a core team of L&D specialists at Microsoft Headquarters.
Your top goals will be to accelerate ramping time for new hires, schedule, track, and facilitate classroom learning, and ensure swift adoption of new process or tooling by the teams of technicians in your datacenter. Be ready to innovate, to leverage and exhaust existing solutions, and to creatively engage an extended network of contributors and experts. Success in this role means you have contributed to building a world-class L&D program that can be a selling point to recruit, retain, and advance top talent in your area. Microsoft’s online infrastructure is growing at an incredible pace. You can have a big impact in this role!
• Operational Planning & Project Management: show structured thinking, planning, and ability to execute by working through others, influencing without authority, and dealing with ambiguity.
• Understand Learning Objectives: Describe how they relate to a role’s responsibilities and performance, as well as how they are inputs to business goals.
• Facilitation for Technical Audiences: Facilitate live classroom instruction credibly with experienced datacenter staff, without always having to be the subject expert yourself.
• Exceptional written and Interpersonal skills: communicate effectively and concisely with stakeholders and leaders about our programs and objectives.
• Bi-directional partnering with GDCO L&D Field Operations Teams and Regional L&D PM’s: In a simple concise way communicate field requirements (from DC Operators), but also land the subsequently developed curricula successfully with target audiences.
• Team Player: Ability to both contribute strategically to this relatively new team and support strategic decisions once debate is over.
• Leverage global L&D programs to address datacenter learning needs and inform local leadership of trends and progress.
• Contribute to GDCO Learning Community use of global L&D offerings and give feedback on relevance, accuracy and value.
• Drive your datacenter’s participation in the best, most relevant industry certification programs.
• Problem solve for learning-logistics: when should technicians take online training; how will classroom training take place in a datacenter environment; how can teams get hands-on practice?
• Leverage local subject matter experts codify tribal knowledge, spread adoption of best practices, and expose best practices to the field training community
• Advocate for your datacenter workforce and influence process improvement by revealing where training has been relied on to solve problems better solved with engineering.
• Facilitate live classroom instruction and organize training activities supported by local or remote experts.
• Maintain technical proficiency in tools and procedures relative to the needs of your datacenter
• Conducting gating tests that allow techs to establish their ranks, internal certifications, and level of autonomy.
• Publishing readiness reporting for ALL technicians across the site trainer’s area of responsibility
• Coordinating with the Regional L&D PMs, and datacenter leadership to ensure that assigned training is complete
• Promote an effective learning atmosphere with support from local datacenter leadership
Experience and Skill-set:
• IT, Networking, WAN, Cloud, Fabric, Datacenter
• Associates Degree or global equivalent or substantive experience.
• At least 2+ years' experience in training and readiness operations or program management for a Datacenter Team.
• 4+ years’ experience in high-tech or supply chain operations environment
• Datacenter experience
Preferred (Ideal to Have)
• Associates Degree or global equivalent
• Analysis and writing: ability to diagnose or represent training data and anecdotal feedback in meaningful ways
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings:
Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to email@example.com.
A little about us:
Microsoft offers training and employment opportunities to help you turn your military experience and skills into a civilian technology career.