This position's primary responsibilities are to maintain, troubleshoot/diagnose and repair all automated material handling and building assets in order to support the goals of the Distribution Center. In addition, they will provide technical expertise for day to day issues and provide solutions for recurring problems. This position will be required to demonstrate proper safe work practices around automated equipment while in a production environment by adherence to Lock-Out-Tag-Out (LOTO) and NFPA70E/NEC code standards. Additional responsibilities for this position include repair and maintenance of Powered Industrial Equipment (PIE) and all associated equipment as well as assisting higher level Technicians with complex automated material handling system projects and repairs. Principal Duties & Responsibilities:
- Perform preventive maintenance and repair tasks on conveyors, sorters, shuttles and related automated material handling assets.
- Perform troubleshooting/diagnostics and repair of mechanical, electrical, pneumatic, hydraulic and control system components of the conveyor system and building components, including but not limited to:
- AC/DC drives
- AC invertors
- Linear motors
- Print and apply
- Power distribution
- Communication systems (CAN, ASi, Profi, ethernet, etc.)
Preferred Education & Experience:
- Responding to calls for assistance with building issues, conveyor jams or shut downs and other facility issues.
- Complete assigned projects to support Operations Departments.
- Perform general building repairs including plumbing, electrical, mechanical, pneumatic and carpentry repairs.
- Maintain shop equipment in working condition including cranes, drill presses, stand grinders, welding equipment, presses (hydraulic/pneumatic), jacks, jack stands, band saws and various other pieces of equipment.
- General work area housekeeping and stock keeping responsibilities.
- Utilization of CMMS to enter daily maintenance activities.
- Ability to work independently on projects and work assignments.
- Work with contractors, service providers and other Facilities personnel.
- Ability to operate all automated material handling and mobile equipment within the Distribution Center.
- Communicate status of work-in-progress and completion estimate with team and management.
- Remain current in training for LOTO, NFPA/NEC standards and other KPI, as required by policies.
- Other duties, as assigned.
- Additional responsibilities will include:
- Repair and maintenance of PIE fleet and associated assets, including picking carts, batteries, battery changing equipment.
- Assisting with complex repairs and projects on automated material handling/conveyor system.
- Technical degree preferred with focus on Electrical and Automated Systems.
- Minimum of 5 years of building and equipment maintenance experience with two years or equivalent experience, maintaining automated conveyor systems.
- Ability to understand and read directions and clearly communicate with others.
- Capable of completing all company forms and paperwork.
- Must possess intermediate computer skills, specifically regarding MS Outlook and Computerized Maintenance Management Software (CMMS) programs.
- Knowledge and application of safe work practices, including LOTO standards.
- Demonstrated ability to follow directions with acute attention to detail and high level of record keeping accuracy.
- Demonstrated competency of mechanical, electrical, plumbing, carpentry and pneumatic concepts.
- Skilled at using electrical multi-meters, hand tools, power tools, welding equipment, calipers, gauges, etc.
- Demonstrated ability to understand and interpret MEP (Mechanical/Electrical/Plumbing) drawings and schematics.
- Strong understanding of power distribution and control circuits.
- Demonstrated ability to troubleshoot and repair I/O device networks such as Profibus, Data Highway, ASiBus, Ethernet and CanBus.
- Demonstrated ability to utilize computer-based monitoring equipment to diagnose automated material handling systems and building automation systems.
- Demonstrated experienced with AC/DC drive set-up, programming and fault resolution.
- Ability to develop skill sets through ongoing training in both formal and informal settings.
- Demonstrated reliability/flexibility in regard to attendance.
- Ability to grasp, bend and lift.
- Ability to work at heights and unusual position.
- Able to safely operate all hand tools.
- Able to lift up to 75 pounds on a regular basis.
- Able to operate powered industrial equipment including forklifts, pallet-jacks, and handcarts.
- Must be able to tolerate an environment with exposure to heat, cold, noise, dust and work around moving equipment - often times while working in uncomfortable positions.
- This position indirectly impacts customer satisfaction and profitability.
- This position is responsible and accountable in assisting conveyance materials to ensure timely arrival to final destination.
This position reports directly to the Facilities Supervisor or Facilities Manager and has regular interaction with Facilities Technicians I, II and IV, Distribution Center Associates and Management.
A little about us:
Grainger helps customers save time and money by providing them the right products to keep their facilities up and running.