McLean 1 (19050), United States of America, McLean, Virginia
Design Development Program Intern - Carnegie Mellon University
As an Intern on the Digital team, you will work closely with other designers, strategists, developers, product managers, and business analysts to further our understanding of how people interact with their money. You will find opportunities for change, advocate for the needs of our customers, and lead design from empathy to iteration to deliver human-centered solutions to over 65-million customers.
About the role:
Our Design Interns enjoy solving complex problems. They are human-centered in their approach to design and advocate for user needs. They are curious and demonstrate a love for learning. They generate ideas and prototyping concepts that are anchored in research insights, subject knowledge, technology requirements, and business goals. They are passionate about the power of strategic design and demonstrate an “anything is possible” mind set. They take pride in their work yet have a humble approach. They are able to contribute on end-to-end on projects and act as as researchers, strategists, and designers. They use design thinking methods to uncover insights to inform design decisions. They are excellent communicators and enjoy presenting their decisions in front of colleagues and business partners.
Our internship will provide you with an opportunity to:
- Practice Design
- Build empathy for the people you’re designing for through participation in human-centered research;
- Advocate for and be the voice of the customer in our design and development process;
- Collaborate with business analysts, product managers, and other designers on research, strategy, ideation, design, and testing of new product concepts;
- Present research findings and design concepts with various audience types from sophisticated design experts to non-designers;
- Exercise our values of humanity, simplicity, and ingenuity throughout your work;
- Translate user needs, style guides, technology and business requirements into elegant design solutions;
- Work alongside talented designers, product managers, and developers;
- Attend trainings on emerging technologies and trends;
- Participate as a fully empowered member of a diverse and passionate team, including other interns from design, development, and product management.
We’re seeking intern candidates with the following:
- Currently pursuing a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Interaction Design, Communication Design, Human-Computer Interaction, Computer Science (with Human-Computer Interaction focus), or another design-related field or closely related discipline;
- Working knowledge of human-centered design principles (e.g. Design Thinking);
- Portfolio of UX/UI design work that demonstrates experience working on projects from empathy to iteration;
- Storytelling skills with an ability to weave key insights into a compelling narrative and present to diverse audiences;
- Problem-solving skills with an ability to analyze situations, identify existing or potential problems and recommend solutions;
- Experience with standard digital design tools (e.g. Sketch, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop, Omnigraffle, Balsamiq, Axure, etc.);
- Bonus: interest in service design with experience using service design methods;
Here’s what we’ll offer:
• A fun and challenging role on an awesome team;
• Mentorship with industry-leading designers;
• Executive speaker series;
• Regular networking opportunities with peers and executives;
Come join us!
- You will obtain a bachelor’s degree or higher between December 2017 and August 2018
- You are a current student or alumni of Carnegie Mellon University
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
A little about us:
Headquartered in McLean, Virginia, Capital One® offers a broad array of financial products and services to consumers.