The Design Director, Frito Lay North America Snacks is a senior design leader responsible for the development, management and delivery of effective and compelling design systems and solutions, globally across critical touch points, media and channels for PepsiCo's snacks brands. Successful candidates will demonstrate superior ability to collaborate, inspire and lead cross-functional teams, and champion and drive, from ideation to execution quality design practice across physical, graphic and motion-design challenges, leading internal design staff and external partners.
The main objective of this role is to establish and ensure design excellence - strategic and operational - for brand development within the North America snacks portfolio. This means planning, organizing, and implementing consistent design principles and production processes to ensure that the design/production guardrails are met. Strategic Design Leadership:
Design Project Management:
- Leads design strategies, optimizes design systems and elevates related activations for branded, cohesive experiences for North America Snacks: demonstrating an ability to understand the strategic, technical, social and emotional values that have critical business significance - including packaging, retail, digital, event, etc. Successfully directs multi-disciplinary design teams and actively mentors design colleagues. Maintains a flow of value through the integration of the business strategies, market and social trends, and available latest technologies. Develops and adjusts strategies and/or processes to meet changing market and competitive conditions while considering the impacts on the local & global business.
Brand Design Systems Development:
- Responsible for partnering across disciplines within PepsiCo and external suppliers to ensure design assets are developed and delivered with quality, value, and on-time. Energizes and leads both internal and external design resources from idea phase to commercialization. Ensures each stakeholder understands his/her role and responsibilities throughout the creative process. Regularly reviews the status of projects with appropriate leadership to verify that Brand, Category and Company expectations are met.
- Reports to the Senior Director of North America Snacks Design, works in collaboration with other design leaders, in conjunction with the VP of Global Snacks and Chief Design Officer, to effectively develop and deliver visual identity systems and solutions that cut across brand, product, packaging, marketing, equipment, and advertising. Generates creative design proposals (visions, scenarios, concepts) in order to visualize the desired output and share it with internal and external team members. Develops and implements design/production principles for the snacks portfolio that can be leveraged across the Design Organization. Responsible for driving the final design recommendations, decisions and design approval to enable artwork execution / production phases. Accountable for development of guardrails that allow for adjustments in strategies and/or processes to meet changing market and competitive conditions while considering the impacts on the local & global business.
Design R&D and Innovation:
External Design Network:
- Identifies and initiates design programs/solutions that generate critical business value for one or more divisions.
- Supports the PepsiCo Design Organization in building and cultivating a strong external design resource network.
- 10+ years of deep strategic brand design and design systems experience (preferably in a global and matrixed environment or working as consultant from a design firm for such organizations)
- Extraordinary design aesthetic and expertise
- Collaborative, flexible and tenacious; able to preserver to realize goals
- Can effectively influence across all levels in the organization; across regions and functions; can get things done through formal and informal channels
- Effectively communicates (verbally and written) with internal and external stakeholders across all levels
- Works well with others to deliver results; keeps others informed and can share successes broadly
- Proven ability to effectively incorporate research (including primary and secondary research) in strategic design processes
- Track record of building strategic efforts across business units through identification of market trends, consumer and consumer behavior.
- Rich knowledge and understanding of consumer and brand behavior, as well as In-store and In-category dynamics, and how those insights inform design
- Can effectively envision and address idea feasibility
- Superior project management and design management skills; attention to detail
- Compelling presentation and proposal skills
- Proven ability to multi-task, work in ambiguous and dynamic work environment; is comfortable with risk and uncertainty
- Must be willing and able to travel 20% of the time
Eligible for Limited Relocation