Location: Trumbull, Connecticut
Posted: October 14, 2016
Reference ID: 16000GT0
The Design Engineer will guide the development of holistic design opportunities into manufactural products. You will also be present in earlier design stages to inspire and promote the creation of feasible design solutions from the beginning.
By persistently challenging current production methods and maintaining constant exchange of information and knowledge with relevant partners, you will have significant design impact on the design quality.
In order to deliver the greatest value for both our consumers and our brands, your job is to guide and support simulation and validation of design solutions
Why Join Unilever Design
Joining Unilever Design means working within a dedicated and ambitious design team on the development of high impact brand innovation. Unilever offers an agile and open-minded environment with strong and passionate thinkers and doers who are constantly seeking to improve purpose in terms of brand, people, sustainability, and technology & business growth.
As a job holder in Unilever Design you will have the chance to collaborate with and guide multi-disciplinary teams and external partners in order to create value and meet consumer needs with convincing and meaningful Design solutions. Within Unilever Design you will have the chance to grow further and be supported by various training initiatives both inside and outside Design.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
· Enrich the creation of meaningful consumer experiences with relevant engineering expertise and knowledge
· Drive technical awareness in design-projects and make design engineering comprehensible and relevant to everyone
· Challenge Unilever Design teams on manufacturing capabilities and context
· Proof design solutions with risk analysis, FMEA engineering planning and various prototyping methods
· Working knowledge of predictive tools such as CAE, FEA, and virtual simulations
· Consolidate supply and customer requirements to ensure successful definition and execution of projects
· Support assessment and documentation of design quality while manufacturing
· Support in building and maintaining network with engineering and technology partners
· Collaborate with and guide external partners to solve complex manufacturing systems
· Work closely with Packaging Engineering to identify and understand product specifications, create and validate prototypes
· Support initiation and coordination of feasibility prototypes
· Broaden the horizon of suppliers by driving smart and innovative production concepts
· Ability to conduct qualitative mechanical and engineering analysis
· Cultivate regular and active exchange with supply to make sure manufacturing goes smoothly and to identify potential problem sources
· Support constructive design reviews of design agencies with technical knowledge
· Advise on functionality and manufacturability during down-selecting concepts and design opportunities
· Translate early designs into appropriate CAD models (Siemens NX preferred)
Key Working Relationships
· Design Engineering Leader to learn from and support in daily business
· Design Strategy and Design Project Leadership teams to engage the communication of the internal design community and smooth running of projects
· Project Leaders to align day-to-day project work with capabilities of design and other functions
· Packaging Engineering to align about the resources needed to deliver the right design solution
· Supply Chain to understand the manufacturing complexities and equipment requirements when designing for production
· Consumer Technical Insights (CTI) to be on top of latest and valid insights in technology
· Brand Marketing to integrate brand equities and consumer insights while delivering experiential design
· Formulation to align the specifics of the formula (development) with the design of the packaging
· External partners like design agencies and engineering partners to ensure that the design is meeting the right requirements and quality
· Bachelor’s degree within the area of industrial design, mechanical engineering, technical design, or design engineering with minimum 3-6 years professional experience within the engineering area of design in a corporate, supplier, or agency environment.
· Experience in spreading and integrating a design mind-set within a global organization is preferred.
· Advanced technical skills around design execution
· Exceptional knowledge of existing and new technologies
· Experienced in collaboration with external engineering agencies, partners and suppliers
· Able to handle multiple projects at the same time
· Early assessment and virtual prototyping methodologies and tools
· Engineering analysis and simulation tools
· Basic knowledge of design standards, codes and ways of working
· Solid and proven knowledge in supply chain and manufacturing processes
· Ability to think conceptually and globally about a broader range of projects
· Robust knowledge in material properties and processing
· Knowledge around the area sustainable design & engineering is a clear advantage
Unilever offers a competitive compensation package which includes: Medical & Dental Plans, Life Insurance, including eligible spouses, domestic partners & children; Health Care Flexible Spending, Dependent Care, Retirement & Savings Plans, Tuition Reimbursement, Paid Vacation and Holidays.
Please note: as part of the job application, you will be asked to complete pre-screening questions. Completion of the pre-screening questions is mandatory in order to be considered. Please allow yourself plenty of time to complete both the application and pre-screening questions. If the pre-screening questions are partially answered or not at all, it will adversely affect the progress of your application. Please be aware that you will have to complete the pre-screening questions at once as you will be unable to return to it later.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, or other protected class in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws. Unilever takes affirmative action in support of its policy to and advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
Unilever is an organization committed to diversity and inclusion to drive our business results and create a better future every day for our diverse employees, global consumers, partners, and communities. We believe a diverse workforce allows us to match our growth ambitions and drive inclusion across the business.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Persons with Disabilities
Applicants and employees are protected from discrimination under Federal law. For more information, please see EEO is the Law .
Employment is subject to verification of pre-employment drug-screening results and background investigation.