Design Manager, Adaptive Path
We’re looking for an engaging Design Manager who is passionate about the field of user experience, has developed and managed large-scale programs and multi-track projects, and has excellent communication skills. Our Design Managers are an integral part of the design team and have a big impact on the work we do.
We’re looking for someone who can flex from being very strategic to very tactical and from being very creative and participatory in the design process to pragmatic and analytical.
To join our team, you will need to have a strong background in design management for digital product and/or omni-channel service experiences. You have a broad set of skills in program management, but you have a passion and depth in specific areas of practice that set you apart from the pack. You have an exuberant passion for the power of strategic design and an “anything’s possible” mindset. You are capable of managing the full design process from framing/reframing problems, to guiding conceptual solutions, and to helping deliver experiences that benefit our customers and employees.
What You’ll Bring + Do:
- Guide the design process for complex products and services from concept to delivery
- Partner with Design Directors to coordinate and prioritize initiatives and resources
- Facilitate shaping and managing effective and efficient design teams
- Build great working relationships
- Collaborate with Design Directors on resource planning/allocation
- Manage budgets and forecasting
- Oversee the strategic and tactical prioritization of design initiatives and workflows
- Manage changes to scope, design, and delivery schedules within the overall business, design, and development needs and with available resources
- Establish and maintain program status summaries and metrics
- Identify and manage risks and mitigation plans
- Organize and ensure appropriate communication of status, issues, forecasts, etc. to stakeholders
- Project oversight for entire engagement, including partner relationship, team, budget, schedule, key metrics, risk management and mitigation
- Collaborate within design and across teams to deliver projects/programs that exceed expectations
- Monitor and balance overall project health and team satisfaction
- Participate in the design process (stakeholder interviews, research, analysis, and work session facilitation) as necessary
- Maintain project momentum keeping the project and team on track
- Support scoping new engagements
- Determine and implement process improvements
- Knowledge sharing across Capital One
- Performing other related duties as required
Desired Skills and Experience:
We are looking for someone who has experience managing projects and programs in our kind of environment or somewhere similar. Strong communication and writing skills, sincerity, and a sense of humor are key in our highly collaborative approach. Our design managers must also be comfortable with ambiguity in the face of design challenges and know how to move toward the right solution as part of a team.
- Bachelor’s degree or military experience
- At least 4 years of experience working within the Digital Industry
- At least 3 years of experience with Project Management
- At least 2 years of experience managing direct reports
- Master’s degree
- 5+ years of experience in presenting to peers, management and stakeholders
- 5+ years of experience working with Business Relationship Management
- 5+ years of experience with the Project Management tool-set
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.