Developer - Database Developer III
Posted: January 26, 2017
Reference ID: 00001HLC
Individuals within the Database Development role designs and maintains software applications related to a database's functionality. A database developer designs and modifies one or several databases for an organization. This role works with technical and nontechnical staff to understand user and organizational needs, and to develop the database to meet functional requirements. This also involves maintaining the integrity and security of databases. Security can include defining who can use the database as well as determining who is restricted from accessing one or several of its areas.
Database Developers design, develop, and review of all database development activities to include implementation of new data schema, fields, or data values. They address performance, scalability, and efficiency issues with high transaction volume systems when configuring and testing new database features for new releases.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• May develop or contribute to work plan timelines and manage workflows to meet project timeframes.
• Works with IT team members to design and implement the database(s) in alignment with the project schedule.
• Works with Business Analysts, Application Developer, Solution Architects and Data Architects in analyzing business requirements, specifications and technical design documents to define the optimal ETL solution.
• Participates in the selection of database management software and defines hardware requirements.
• May design, plan, and develop programs to optimally extract, transform and load data between data sources.
• Designs key and indexing schemes and designs partitioning.
• Designs, constructs and implements operational data stores and data marts.
• Works with other development teams to review database changes.
• Provides maintenance support to existing applications.
• Creates documentation (Data Mapping, Technical Specifications, Production Support, data dictionaries, test cases, etc.) is provided for all projects.
• Assists in post-implementation continuous improvement efforts in enhancing performance and helps developers to create and/or performance tune database queries.
• May evaluates the design of existing database and application systems to ensure optimal efficiency and performance.
• Enhances and maintains existing database systems to increase operating efficiency or adapt to newer requirements.
• Provides ongoing maintenance of applications.
• Performs Level 3 support.
• Researches resolution of support or production related database development issues
• Resolves conflicts between models, ensuring that data models are consistent with the enterprise model (e.g., entity names, relationships and definitions).
• Adheres to and may ensure data management standards, policies, and procedures and single source data strategy is adhered to.
• Conducts code walk-thru of systems solutions to ensure design quality and consistency.
• Documents each function.
• Participates in evaluation of and may make recommendations for future technologies and new releases/upgrades.
• Provides technical coaching to less-experienced team members.
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS:
• Outstanding communication skills with cross functional IT teams and business users.
• Sr. Level Skills in Troubleshooting SQL Server issues such as SSIS packages, index tuning, SSIS troubleshooting, etc) Advanced knowledge of SQL Server design techniques for ETL and Reporting in a Datawarehouse.
• Sr. Level skills in SQL Server Datawarehouse environments.
• Sr. Level skills in T-SQL development (Stored Procedures, Triggers, etc.) Sr level SQL Server performance tuning skills including optimizing T-SQL, advanced indexing techniques, ability to use advanced SQL Server features such as Compression and Partitioning
• Mid level Dimensional Data modeling skills
• Experience or ability to lead a small development team of 4-6 people including offshore.
• Experience with automating database deployments in enterprise environments.
• Experience with following, improving, and auditing SDLC processes.
• .Net a plus
• Past experience as a production support DBA a plus.
• Experience in Azure a plus.
• Experience with EDI a plus.
MINIMUM SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITY REQUIREMENTS:
• 6 years of SQL Server programming experience.