Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm's employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments and individuals from more than 1,200 offices in 43 countries.
As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success. Together, we share a common set of values rooted in integrity, excellence and strong team ethic. Morgan Stanley can provide a superior foundation for building a professional career - a place for people to learn, to achieve and grow. A philosophy that balances personal lifestyles, perspectives and needs is an important part of our culture.
Technology works as a strategic partner with Morgan Stanley business units and the world's leading technology companies to redefine how we do business in ever more global, complex, and dynamic financial markets. Morgan Stanley's sizeable investment in technology results in quantitative trading systems, cutting-edge modeling and simulation software, comprehensive risk and security systems, and robust client-relationship capabilities, plus the worldwide infrastructure that forms the backbone of these systems and tools. Our insights, our applications and infrastructure give a competitive edge to clients' businesses' and to our own.
As part of aggressive strategy to design and implement industry leading digital cash management, lending and mortgage offering, Morgan Stanley Global Banking Technology team is looking for a hands-on Java Development Lead to join a technologically advanced team, focusing on innovation and building out a next generation of Lending platforms. Candidate must have significant expertise in leading design and development of core Java applications as well as multi-tiered Java EE-style applications. Candidate should be fluent in related technologies including Spring, databases, database interface layers, web browser display technologies (AngularJS), web protocols and standards, and associated Java development tools. Candidate will interface on a regular basis with other teams including other internal IT teams across Wealth Management, BA team, QA team, and offshore development team. The candidate must have strong communication skills and be able work with both users and lead IT team members in a highly collaborative team environment. To be successful, the role will require the individual to understand the banking technology landscape, and to offer creative solutions that integrate current capabilities, vendor capabilities, proprietary system builds, and the ability to adapt to changing business requirements.
- Drive software design, architecture and development at a detailed level:
o Design and build core system components
o Plan, assign and track work within development team
o Review code and establish rules and guidelines to help developers
- Face off directly with business and operations staff, as well as partners within IT
o Review and participate in the specification of business and technical requirements
o Review test plans and work with partners in QA and UAT to ensure testing is proceeding correctly
o Provide good time/effort/cost estimates, often from less-than-perfectly-specified requirements
- Manage a development team
o Find, interview and hire strong developers
o Provide guidance and supervision to team members, helping them grow their skills and further their careers within the firm
o Keep the team motivated and engaged
- 10 years of expertise in building enterprise level applications using Java technologies including 5 years in lead roles
- Expertise in Java EE design and programming, solid understanding of multi-tiered web-based applications
- Strong understanding of RDBMS databases, JDBC, and database access technologies (Sybase, DB2 preferred but not required)
- Working knowledge of Spring MVC framework and design patterns
- Understanding of requirements of large enterprise applications (security, entitlements, etc.)
- Experience with standard set of Java developments tools including IDEs, build frameworks, source code control, etc.
- Exposure to JIRA or other ALM tools to create a productive, high quality development environment
- Excellent communication and presentation skills: ability to communicate in a clear and concise manner; individually or in front of a group
A little about us:
Since its founding in 1935, Morgan Stanley and its people have helped redefine the meaning of financial services.