About the Opportunity
As a DevOps Database Engineer
at Pitney Bowes, you thrive on working with all aspects of Microsoft SQL Server, MySQL and Mongo database development and support in a cloud/3+ tier/customer hosted enterprise application environment. The ideal candidate will have at least 6 years of professional experience working with software engineering groups in production support environments.
The expectation is for this position to function within a DevOps culture providing in-depth database experience, working with latest versions of SQL Server (MSSQL), My SQL and/or Mongo and cloud technologies. You must be able to see opportunities where others see challenges.Build. Deploy. Bridge. Grow.
In this role, you will join our Global Ecommerce Database team within the Engineering organization in Danbury, CT. You will be responsible for the following functions:
- Plan and conduct structured testing of database designs to confirm functionality and performance, optimize and tune database schemas, stored procedures, triggers, dynamic queries, and work with developers to implement complete solutions.
- Develop and maintain database integrity, security, HA, DR planning.
- Design and implement DB deployment automation and automation of routine DB administration tasks using DevOps automation technologies.
- Experience with AWS technical essentials such as RDS, EC2, S3, security and networking.
- Translate business and product requirements into system requirements, work closely with PM, SME, developers to design, implement database sub systems.
- Actively participate in the requirements specification process with project teams to help define technical requirements, scope, and limitations.
- Maintain and implement database change control, release process for all production and non-production environments.
- Provide innovative leadership for ongoing daily and monthly activities including database maintenance, performance tuning, parameter tuning
- Plan and implement ongoing monthly and quarterly maintenance activities including patching cycles, upgrade cycles, security and auditing cycles
- Perform daily database administration tasks including monitoring, troubleshooting, and remediation activities
- Ability to work in a in a global team, interacting/coordinating with colleagues across the world to ensure highest levels of service. Must be willing to assume on-call support as needed on off business hours and weekends.
- Communicate clearly in coordinating with infra IT teams and support groups to troubleshoot and resolve database issues and escalations, or to perform builds and deployments.
- Maintaining and contributing to internal team-knowledge documents/runbooks and SMTD and DB development based on policies, guidelines and standards.
- A candidate must be a self-motivated, great team player, able to work independently, and willing and able to align with project management's priorities.
- Extensive background with SQL Server 2012-2016 and/or Linux/AWS MySQL 5.6.
- 6+ years DBA/DBE experience in the following areas:
- Administering MSSQL Active-Active, Active-Passive Cluster, Peer to peer replication, transactional replication and/or online reorg/reindexing.
- Knowledge of internal structure of indexes, statistics and system information schemas.
- Proficient in performance tuning and optimization using native monitoring and troubleshooting tools.
- Experience with large database batch jobs, data transformations, T-SQL, stored procedures, triggers, database partitioning, log shipping, SSIS, and data encryption.
- Performance tuning using MSSQL database partitioning, both instance and SQL statement level tuning and/or ability to setup oracle partitioning
- On online / offline reorg / re-indexing, Database backups, restores / recovery
- HA and DR including Log shipping, mirroring and Always-On technologies, with emphasis on work experience with Windows OS
- Using backup/recovery tools
- SQL mail experience, including setting up and scripting alerts
- Experience with source control systems, database versioning and release processes.
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with ability to clearly articulating.
- Database schema design experience, and very knowledgeable in database design/implementation best practices
- 3+ years' experience in Mongo 2.6 and above database including replica set knowledge
- Setting up authentication and encryption on Mongo database
- Working experience on Linux and shell scripting
- Monitoring, backup, restore and DR experience
- AWS certification is a plus.
- .Net, C# and Java programming languages is a plus.
Our global Innovation team is dedicated to using the best-in-class tools, processes and modern architectures to create great experiences for our clients. In a rapidly changing world, we have a clear technical vision for our future that includes SaaS, APIs, Big Data, Advanced Analytics, Mobile and the Internet of Things. We are also focused on creating great client experiences, utilizing a Design Thinking platform and approach.
Pitney Bowes is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer that values diversity and inclusiveness in the workplace.W/M/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities/LGBT are encouraged to apply.
All interested individuals must apply online. Individuals with disabilities who cannot apply via our online application should refer to the alternate application options via our Individuals with Disabilities link.