Additional Location(s) or Information: OR Austin, Texas; Seattle, WA;
Job Category: Engineer - Software
Level of Experience: Experienced - Non Manager
Requisition #: R1023325
The Cisco Cloud Foundation Organization
Cisco is operating a number of large, global cloud properties based on OpenStack and other technologies. The users of these clouds includes large, external facing SaaS platforms (e.g. Spark) and managed private enterprise clouds (e.g. Metacloud).
The next phase of Cisco's cloud journey is to use its experience with large cloud deployments, combine it with new technologies (e.g. Docker, Kubernetes), and leverage new in-house innovation and technology from recent acquisitions (e.g. Cliqr, Piston) along with Cisco's unique capabilities at the network and hardware level (e.g. UCS, ACI) to create the Next Generation Data Center.
Our overall organization is positioned for maximum innovation velocity by adopting optimal organizational, operational and development methodologies (e.g. service architecture, don't build cathedrals, iterate, partner for feedback, fail-fast, DevOps). Our ambition is to create multiple, modular cloud stacks that allow enterprise workloads to consume infrastructure in an elastic, federated API-driven service model while leveraging the best-in-class hybrid cloud orchestration and deployment automation technology. The Cloud Storage team is responsible for building, deploying, and operating cloud-based storage services such as highly scalable object storage.
Role and Responsibilities
This DevOps Engineering role is responsible for creating automation and infrastructure around build engineering, continuous integration, test automation, deployment automation, capacity planning and provisioning, monitoring and alerting. He/she enjoys building tools to help increase developer productivity and/or has prior experience building monitoring tools for large-scale distributed systems.
The role requires a person with a background in software development with a mix of operations. The candidate should be passionate about velocity and have the mindset where everything must be automated. He or she should LOVE building tools that help drive overall team productivity and should have prior experience building, shipping and operating at least one large scale web or software-as-a-service (SaaS) product using at least one major cloud technology. The ideal candidate would have done several such products using several cloud technologies (VM's / containers / cloud services) on several different clouds (AWS / Rackspace / Azure / Private Clouds). The emphasis of this role is to influence and guide the platform development to be highly operable and efficient - for both development / deployment of new features and core operations. This can only be accomplished by a candidate with substantial real-world experience actually building, deploying and operating distributed systems using cloud technologies.
This is a senior technical role oriented towards the actual implementation and operation of the product. The candidate is expected to have hands-on skills and will guide and contribute technically to the product.
• 5+ years experience building and deploying API-driven software - most of that in a cloud environment
• Significant expertise with distributed systems, ideally in a cloud environment
• Very strong understanding of cloud technologies - has deployed more than one solution on the cloud
• Strong understanding of networking and complex networked software systems
• Significant experience with cloud technologies and DevOps approaches to modern software delivery
• Experienced with modern cloud-based software tools and approaches (Git, Jenkins, Concourse, Docker, Jira, Ansible, ELK Stacks, Graphite, Nagios)
• Strong coding skills, familiary with Python or other scripting languages
• Bachelor degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
• Experience in Agile environments
• Able to contribute beyond just coding (code reviews, demos, proof of concept solutions)
• Detail-oriented personality who does not lose sight of the big picture
• Must have experience releasing software in a successful customer-facing Cloud Business
Additional Desired Skills
• Experience with Kubernetes and container technologies
We connect everything: people, processes, data, and things. We innovate everywhere, taking bold risks to shape the technologies that give us smart cities, connected cars, and handheld hospitals. And we do it in style with unique personalities who aren't afraid to change the way the world works, lives, plays and learns.
We are thought leaders, tech geeks, pop culture aficionados, and we even have a few purple haired rock stars. We celebrate the creativity and diversity that fuels our innovation. We are dreamers and we are doers.
We Are Cisco.
Job Type: Experienced
Opportunity Category: Cloud
A little about us:
We are one, big, techie, employee tribe that changes the world while having fun.