**Requisition ID:** 24809BR
**Job Title:** Diesel Mechanic - Maintenance Technician - Experienced
**Division:** 4973: AWS - Roanoke Valley
**Location:** 51209: Roanoke-341 24Th St Nw
**Position Type:** Full-Time
**Exempt Status:** Non-Exempt
With general supervision from a Lead Technician, Maintenance Supervisor, or Maintenance Manager, a Technician B performs all drive train component work (on diesel and non-diesel equipment and trucks), as well as suspension and steering systems repairs and maintenance on heavy equipment and, where necessary, can perform basic tire work, such as replacement, tire rotation, etc., and checks torque specifications and replaces, where necessary, wheel end components, such as bearings. This position requires advanced mechanic type knowledge of engine drive trains, suspension and steering systems, electrical and hydraulic systems, advanced knowledge of air brake and valve systems to be able to perform advanced-level repair and maintenance on a variety of heavy equipment in the shop and on the road under emergency conditions.
• Maintain advanced knowledge of a vehicle’s drive train components, including differential, drive shaft and transmission, suspension and steering systems, air brake and valve systems, as well as the electrical and hydraulic systems to perform advanced preventive and repair maintenance functions, on site and on the road, including:
• Advanced drive train component repair and maintenance;
• Advanced knowledge of vehicle body control systems, including hydraulics and electrical systems to maintain and repair the vehicles in a timely and safe manner;
• Advanced knowledge of air brake and valve systems to effectively diagnose and repair complex braking and valve systems in the vehicles in a timely and safe manner; and
• Safely repair vehicles that have broken down on the road to ensure that the Company’s equipment is returned to operation in a safe and efficient manner.
• Identify the source of the malfunctions using a variety of electronic tools.
• Refer more complex repairs to a Technician A, Lead Technician or Maintenance Supervisor.
• Completion of applicable Company training programs.
• Performs other job-related duties as required or apparent.
The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees, and are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties, and skills required by personnel so classified. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the Company.
• High school diploma or G.E.D.
• Certificate or degree from an accredited automotive college or technical school.
• Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) Certification T3 Drive.
• ASE T4 Brake.
• ASE T5 Suspension and Steering.
• ASE T6 Electrical/Electronic.
• ASE T7 HVAC Systems.
• Commerical Driver’s License.
• Minimum of 1 year of experience in a technician position demonstrating knowledge of both gasoline and diesel powered equipment diagnosis and repair, or graduation from an accredited automotive college or technical school within the next 3 months.
• Basic understanding of work order labor time standards, and application of OSHA HazCom principles.
• Basic understanding of OSHA Lock Out Tag Out procedures and all OSHA Fire Protection regulations.
•Prior experience or knowledge of maintenance work to be performed on Classes 1-5 light/medium duty and heavy-duty Class 7-8 trucks, aircraft, or ships.
**Other Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:**
• Basic computer skills as demonstrated by knowledge of and ability to use MSExcel and word processing applications.
• Good time management skills to ensure assigned responsibilities are completed in an efficient and safe manner.
• Ability to adhere to Company policies and rules and to promote safety standards.
Republic Services is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
A little about us:
The dramatic growth and high performance of Republic Services is an American success story we’re proud of.
Not ready to apply? Join our Talent Network.