This procedure establishes and defines mechanic classifications and associated
test standards for vehicle fleet maintenance mechanics employed by Airgas Merchant Gases.
This procedure will establish minimum qualification standards determined by the
Corporate Operations Departments for the vehicle fleet maintenance mechanics to ensure that Airgas Merchant Gases vehicles operate safely, reliably, efficiently and economically.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES:
• Supervises and performs diagnosis of any truck and/or trailer breakdown.
• Supervises and performs engine repair, tune-ups and rebuilding; repairs to transmissions, drivelines and differentials; and repairs to cryogenic components.
• Requires a high level of knowledge and proficiency in the repair of steering, suspension, brake, frame, axle, electrical, hydraulic and cryogenic systems.
• Works with limited or no supervision.
• Able to instruct and supervise other mechanics in completing repair assignments.
• Sets priorities with ease, assigns work schedule, orders appropriate parts, gives easily understood instructions to other mechanics, and ensures that work is accomplished efficiently with little or no rework.
• Ensures that Corporate Safety and Fleet Maintenance policies are followed, maintains a clean and orderly shop based upon Company Housekeeping standards, and ensures tools and equipment are in good operating order.
o Performs other duties as directed by Management.
o Utilizes standard industry tools to efficiently and productively supervise the Fleet Maintenance facility. Such tools would include, but are not limited to, TMT computerized management system, OEM Service Manuals and Bulletins.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
High school diploma or general education degree (GED) and 0 to 2 years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Occasionally (1-33% of work time);
• Basic knowledge of Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook)
COMMUNICATION and/or CRITICAL THINKING SKILLS:
• Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations.
• Ability to write routine business reports and business correspondence in English.
• Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from employees and/or customers.
• Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
• Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals using the English language.
• Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
• Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent's.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
• Preferred ASE Certified and maintain certification in diesel engines, air brakes, suspension and steering, air conditioning and electrical.
• Must have and maintain a valid Commercial Driver's License
EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, sex, protected veteran status or disability.
A little about us:
Airgas is a company of hardworking men and women dedicated to helping our customers succeed.