Position must sit in one of our Underwriting Centers: Windsor, CT Charlotte, NC New Hartford, NY San Antonio, TX Start Date: February 12, 2018 Training hours: Monday-Friday 10:30am - 7:00pm EST Post training: Monday-Friday 10:30am - 7:00pm EST WHAT ARE THE RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE POSITION?
The Commercial Underwriting trainee program is designed to prepare college graduates and business professionals for the commercial insurance market.
Trainees complete a formal 15 week training program. This program is the first phase of several levels of training that will continue throughout your career in underwriting.
- Training will be facilitator led in a virtual environment.
- Achieve standards established for success in the program by completing daily assignments, including reading of text materials, completion of on-line courses, case study work, exams, and general activities.
- Actively participate in class by asking questions, volunteering answers, and assisting teammates as appropriate.
- Participate fully with the other trainees on any group/team activities, as assigned by the training manager.
- Adhere to The Hartford's employment policies and procedures, including attendance and professionalism in the workplace.
Beyond the 15 week training period you will:
- Work on our small commercial underwriting sales team selling directly to small business owners. The sales underwriter will handle all commercial lines, including Business Owner's Policy (BOP), Commercial Automobile, and Workers' Compensation. This will involve accurately developing and pricing individual risks, analyzing loss and risk information; recognizing "red flags" and file inconsistencies; in order to write profitable commercial business.
- Possess a strong understanding of the sales process, how to close sales, and maximize cross sell opportunities to other small commercial lines of business.
- Advocate The Hartford's value proposition including its long standing history and payroll deduct billing model. Counsel small business insurance customers on their needs and sell products and services that offer solutions to those needs.
- Maintain knowledge of the regional office strategic direction and plan, including goals and objectives to achieve profit and growth.
- Plan and prioritize work activities to achieve desired results within necessary time frames.
- Effectively use on-line resources, automation tools, and computer software packages.
- Continuously develop and strengthen the skills required for success in the sales underwriting position to prepare for additional responsibility.
- Must be Property & Casualty licensed or able to obtain within 90 days of start date.
- Two years or more of consultative selling and call center experience preferred.
Additional Requirements: A required pre-employment assessment will be sent to you via email once you apply. Please complete the assessment within 48 hours.
- A bachelor's degree in Risk Management and Insurance, Business Administration, Finance and Accounting, Economics, Marketing, or Liberal Arts with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above or an equivalent combination of education and experience is strongly preferred.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Exceptional consultative selling, customer and relationship management skills.
- Outstanding organization, desk management, time management and PC skills.
- Ability to produce a high volume of quality work in real time inbound call center environment.
- Comfort and confidence in balancing inbound sales calls from a queue, along with outbound and email communications to close sales.
- Competitive nature and strong desire to win. High energy self-starter, good decision maker with an entrepreneurial spirit.
- Failure to complete the Core Underwriting training program successfully, or to obtain the necessary Property & Casualty licensing before the end of Core Underwriting training, will result in job termination.
Visit our website to learn more about The Hartford's recognition. More information about the company and its product offerings is available at www.thehartford.com .
- Join us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/TheHartford .
- Follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/TheHartford .
Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity or Expression