Director, Accounting (Job Number: 022926)
Deerfield Corporate - 200 WILMOT RD
200 WILMOT RD
This is a very exciting time at Walgreens. We're taking our products and services to the four corners of the world as part of the Retail USA division of Walgreens Boots Alliance, Inc., the first global pharmacy-led, health and wellbeing enterprise. Walgreens Boots Alliance was formed through the combination of Walgreens and Europe's Alliance Boots in December 2014, bringing together two leading companies with iconic brands, complementary geographic footprints, shared values and a heritage of trusted health care services dating back more than 100 years each.
Today, Walgreens is the neighborhood drugstore and retailer that makes health and happiness simpler, easier and within reach. And, we remain a trusted wellness provider offering convenient access to important health services, such as immunizations and an array of pharmacy services that can help patients improve their health. To our team members, Walgreens represents a unique opportunity to excel in their careers in a welcoming and inclusive environment.
Join us at Walgreens and find yourself at a place where innovation thrives and incredible career and growth opportunities await. We offer the chance to work in a truly supportive environment and be part of a progressive organization dedicated to the well-being of our customers, employees, and the communities we all call home. Job Summary
The Director, Accounting is responsible for directing and managing the controller function and business unit specific accounting of an intermediate sized business unit or a department within the accounting function. Oversees the development of systems and responsible for implementing systems, internal controls, procedures and policies related to the business unit or department responsible for. Responsible for adhering to GAAP and company policies and procedures; reports and reviews the results with senior management. Responsible for guiding subordinate staff on issues which may include coordination and preparation of financial statements and reports, management of accounts payables and/or receivables, payroll processing. Job Responsibilities
- Directly leads and owns a designated functional area of Accounting with meaningful size and/or supports a single business unit with meaningful size and financial contribution to the organization.
- Directs and controls the general accounting activities, including recording company transactions, classifications, and reconciliation of account balances in accordance with GAAP and company policy.
- Establishes project teams, assigns responsibilities, and facilitates meetings to ensure timely goal attainment.
- Mentors, coaches, and develops employees through orientation, training, establishment of objectives, communication of policies and rules, and constructive discipline; builds morale and motivation. May be responsible for managing retained and outsourced staff and for providing successful service levels according to the defined Statement of Work established by the Company's management team.
- Prepares management reports and participates in presenting monthly accounting results to senior management.
- Supports the development and implementation of accounting systems and controls; directs the documentation of accounting procedures; ensures implementation of requisite system changes to support the business units and new programs.
- Ensures compliance with accounting principles and adherence with company policy in the business units; implements new policies and changes based on the recommendation and research provided by the Corporate Accounting External Reporting and Research group.
- Plans, recommends and implements the annual expense and capital budgets.
- Works with the external public accountants in planning and executing the annual audit for Walgreens' business units.
- Partners with other areas within Accounting to ensure the proper recording of business transactions.
- Leads Accounting Managers or other support staff as necessary for department operations. Builds employee engagement, morale and motivation. Teaches and trains business partners in all accounting matters to help raise accounting acumen within department.
- Actively participates in VCS organization planning and development activities
Qualifications Basic Qualifications
- Bachelor's Degree and at least 8 years of experience in an analytical role in finance, accounting, business management, or audit or High School Diploma/GED and at least 11 years of experience in an analytical role in finance, accounting, business management, or audit.
- Knowledge of financial accounting regulations.
- Experience with GAAP and financial statement analysis, preparation, and reporting.
- Experience in identifying operational issues and recommending and implementing strategies to resolve problems.
- Experience developing and delivering presentations to various audience levels within an organization.
- Intermediate level skill in Microsoft Excel (for example: using SUM function, setting borders, setting column width, inserting charts, using text wrap, sorting, setting headers and footers and/or print scaling).
- Intermediate level skill in Microsoft Word (for example: inserting headers, page breaks, page numbers and tables and/or adjusting table columns).
- Intermediate level skill in Microsoft PowerPoint (for example: applying a theme, formatting character spacing, inserting a picture, changing slide layout and theme colors, adding transitions, customizing slide numbers, changing chart style and/or formatting font).
- At least 4 years of experience planning, developing, and managing departmental expense and capital budgets.
- At least 4 years of experience directly managing people, including hiring, developing, motivating, and directing people as they work
- Willing to travel up to 15% of the time for business purposes (within state and out of state). May also include international travel.
- Master's Degree in Accounting or MBA.
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting or Finance.
- CPA designation.
- Advanced level skill in Microsoft Excel (using multiple sheets and workbooks, logical Operators ("AND" and "OR"), creating charts, and pivot tables).
A little about us:
The training you received, the discipline you embraced, and the responsibilities you held in the military will serve you well at Walgreens.