Overview of the Position
Across the entire insurance industry, Commercial Auto is currently one of the most profit-challenged lines. The Hartford is determined to beat the competition and we're improving our profitability using continuous innovation and a deep understanding of the business. The line has support and visibility at the highest management levels, making it a high-profile opportunity.
Our auto product is changing quickly and we are looking for an individual with experience in modeling to pioneer improvements in how we monitor and predict the effectiveness of our changes. This newly formed Director position will lead a team leveraging partnerships with systems and the business to play a critical part in improving existing processes. Your team will advance the science behind monitoring and forecasting changes in key performance indicators by measuring and utilizing elasticities and provide critical benchmark prices for our Middle Market underwriters. Responsibilities
Qualifications: Experience & Skills
- Lead innovation in developing modeled forecasting processes/tools to proactively inform business partners of expected underwriting/pricing results.
- Provide support for Commercial Auto pricing models, including serving as the direct liaison between Data Science and the Commercial Auto LOB partners.
- Drive unnecessary complexity out of existing processes through improved internal actuarial methods and algorithms as well as external improvements through partnership with systems counterparts.
- Motivate, develop, and challenge others and lead by example to increase predictive modeling capabilities of the Commercial Auto team.
- Coach and Consult with Commercial Auto indications team to create a new indications process that uses predictive modeling where applicable.
- Help develop and implement training opportunities among Commercial Auto team and share learnings across the Commercial Lines teams.
- Review inflight and future work streams with leadership and partners on an ongoing basis to calibrate deliverables against expectations
- Semi-annual reviews of class plan performance
- Take full responsibility for the Auto Premium Indications Model that is used for the Middle Market ADAPT strategy. Coordinate monthly updates and implement regular improvements throughout the year. Measure the effectiveness of the model by monitoring existing ratios or developing new leading indicators and use results to identify opportunities for improvement.
Behaviors at the Hartford
- Degree in statistics, actuarial science, economics, or other quantitative analytic field. FCAS/ACAS preferred. Prior auto pricing/ratemaking experience a plus.
- 5 years of insurance experience
- Moderate-to-advanced programming skills in SQL and SAS
- Predictive modeling experience in SAS, EMB, R or other modeling software
- Solid commitment to and track record of teaching and developing others.
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills, with thorough attention to detail. Ability to own projects and anticipate obstacles and customer needs.
- Thought leader, who challenges existing processes, can influence others and can drive a process to a conclusion while meeting critical deadlines.
- Self-motivated with the ability to manage time effectively in an environment with multiple priorities
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to foster strong customer relationships by conveying technical concepts to audiences of various levels and diverse technical backgrounds
- Deliver Outcomes - Demonstrate a bias for speed and execution that serves our shareholders and customers
- Operate as a Team Player - Work together to drive solutions for the good of The Hartford
- Build Strong Partnerships - Demonstrate integrity and build trust with others
- Strive for Excellence - Motivate yourself and others to achieve high standards and continuously improve
Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity or Expression/Religion/Age ** NO AGENCIES PLEASE **
A little about us:
HIRING VETERANS IS A PRIORITY FOR THE HARTFORD