**Please note, this role can be filled at a slightly lower level Director & Assistant Actuary. Interested candidates are encouraged to apply.** Overview of the Position
This position is a key, highly visible, management role responsible for $2B of outstanding liabilities within the Reserving and Claim Actuarial Department. The individual must have strong technical and data skills, and must be strong in Leadership and Communication competencies. Reserving and prior management experience are preferred, but not required. Responsibilities:
- Develop and maintain reserve methods for a) General Liability and Umbrella with the Hartford's Small Commercial and Middle Market segments, b) all lines-of-business for Specialty Programs, and c) additional small reserve lines and new product offerings.
- Communicate reserve results to business partners and senior management.
- Partner with the line-of-business actuarial teams to estimate prospective loss and ALAE ratios.
- Monitor and communicate activity on metrics of interest to Reserving and the segment, such as litigation rate, settlement rate, case reserve adequacy, trends by geography, etc.
- Interface with the Claims department to develop performance monitoring and analytics.
Actuarial Reporting/Industry Benchmarking
- Prepare sections of the annual Actuarial Report.
- Schedule P analysis & commentary for both The Hartford and industry competitors.
Qualifications: Experience & Skills:
- Manage, coach, and develop five direct reports, including accountability for their performance and professional development.
- Represent Reserving on various Actuarial working groups and committees.
Behaviors at the Hartford
- FCAS with a strong actuarial background.
- Bachelor's degree in Actuarial Science, Computer Science, Applied Mathematics, or other similar analytical fields with 7 years of P&C Insurance experience.
- Experience with applicable software is preferred, such as Towers Watson ResQ, other products within the Towers Watson product suite, or other Actuarial reserving software.
- Strong Management and Leadership skills with the ability to train, develop, and challenge staff as well as influence partners to improve financial outcomes for The Hartford.
- Self-motivated with the ability to successfully juggle project management and high importance individual contributor work.
- Strong technical and analytical skills with the ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to influence and convey technical concepts to audiences of various levels and diverse technical backgrounds.
- Flexibility and willingness to adapt to changing priorities of various key customers at the senior leadership level.
- Thought Leader. Seeks new ways to approach analysis and projects and solve business problems.
- Deliver Outcomes - Demonstrate a bias for speed and execution that serves our shareholders and customers
- Operate as a Team Player - Work together to drive solutions for the good of The Hartford
- Build Strong Partnerships - Demonstrate integrity and build trust with others
- Strive for Excellence - Motivate yourself and others to achieve high standards and continuously improve
Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity or Expression/Religion/Age ** NO AGENCIES PLEASE **
A little about us:
HIRING VETERANS IS A PRIORITY FOR THE HARTFORD