Director – Applied Architecture
As a Director of Applied Architecture at Capital One, you will lead a team responsible for driving the adoption and implementation of best practices, tools, and frameworks for Enterprise Architecture throughout all lines of business. This team will be instrumental in leading Enterprise Architecture and engineering teams through their adoption of transformational architecture/technologies/processes such cloud, CI/CD, and serverless architecture.
Reporting to the VP, Enterprise Architecture, this Director will directly influence how the enterprise will grow into a new cloud environment. The Director will also take ownership of the Centralized Open Source Office, and be responsible for training and workshops to facilitate Architecture change management goals. Excellent communication skills and team-building will be critical to success in this role.
Key Responsibilities and Attributes
The successful candidate will focus on assisting the architecture application and project teams on their adoption and use of best practices and frameworks throughout the enterprise.
Key responsibilities and challenges for this executive include:
- Introduce and explain the benefits of using new software development tools, frameworks, and methods to enable execution of target architectures and roadmaps; develop consensus to the strategy and monitor execution towards the goals.
- Familiar with Open Source development process and communities. Ability to foster cross functional communities that are modeled on Open Source communities to help encourage collaboration and reuse in the enterprise.
- Research, analyze, and select the best tools and frameworks available to help technical teams adopt best practices.
- Consult on highly complex projects requiring in-depth knowledge across multiple business areas.
- Influence a wide-range of stakeholders to obtain consensus on optimal technical solutions.
- Create and communicate documented standards and practice regarding application development, integration, and architecture to enable hybrid cloud and scaling system deployments.
- Improve existing architecture frameworks in order to define, design, and implement simplified, standards-based, service-oriented IT architectures.
- Develop and hold training sessions and workshops to facilitate implementation and adoption of best practices.
- Encourage inclusion, outside-of-the-box thinking and diversity.
- Stay abreast of new technology, standards and methodologies.
- Attends, creates and presents at industry-relevant conferences.
- Recruit, develop, mentor, and train best-in-class technical talent.
- Demonstrated success in driving teams and individuals to adopt best technology practices.
- Broad knowledge of technologies including infrastructure, application development, network technologies, cloud, mobile, digital, big data, payments technologies, security technologies across a variety of technology platforms.
- Bachelor’s degree or Military experience
- At least 5 years of experience of application architectures and design (Micro-services, API, REST etc.) and modern development languages (Java, Go, JS, Python) and frameworks.
- At least 5 years of experience successfully implementing change management initiatives that require influence, persuasion, coaching, and monitoring of progress.
- At least 5 years of experience collaborating with solution, information, and application architects and infrastructure engineers for developing and implementation highly complex solutions.
- At least 5 years of experience successfully managing technology teams and desire to coach and mentor
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology Management, or other Engineering fields.
- Experience with Public Cloud, Machine Learning, DevOps, CI/CD, and Serverless Architecture strongly preferred.
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.