Towers Crescent 2 (12067), United States of America, Vienna, Virginia
Director, Assistant General Counsel – BSA/AML/OFAC
In addition, through its bold initiatives, state of the art infrastructure, breadth of talent, and dynamic work environment, the Legal Department of Capital One has become one of the most highly admired corporate legal departments in the country.
- Provides timely, accurate and cost-effective legal advice on all areas and elements of BSA/AML/OFAC within a diversified financial holding company with a broad spectrum of financial products and services
- Counsels product development and risk management teams to ensure that innovative products, services and channels fully consider and integrate BSA/AML/OFAC-related obligations and controls
- Partners with Business Risk Offices and Compliance Department to identify and address any BSA/AML/OFAC-related compliance issues with ongoing operations
- Demonstrates a deep understanding of business needs, effective assessment of potential risk exposure, and the ability to balance the two
- Provides legal support in anticipation of and during supervisory exams and audits, including drafting or reviewing responses as necessary
- Engages with industry trade associations to ensure Capital One’s concerns and priorities are reflected in association efforts
- Supports Compliance Department, Business Risk Offices, Lines of Business, and Audit in interpreting and implementing new rules, guidance and enforcement actions
- Briefs executives on risks, concerns, risk mitigation strategies, and resource prioritization decisions
- Engages and manages outside counsel
The successful candidate will have experience working in a BSA/AML/OFAC practice for a bank, money services business, law firm, or regulatory/law enforcement agency responsible for interpreting, supervising, or enforcing the BSA or criminal laws relating to AML. S/he will have previously advised on complex and highly-regulated matters where the law and environment are unclear and evolving. S/he will also have a demonstrated ability and willingness to work as a results oriented team player, interacting with attorneys and other associates across departments and job levels; the ability to work in a fast-paced environment with limited supervision; strong organizational skills with impeccable attention to detail; excellent analytical, oral and written communication skills; and the ability to work cooperatively with internal constituents to create efficient processes and to get issues resolved across organizational boundaries and levels.
- JD and member in good standing of at least one state bar
- 5 years of BSA/AML experience in a law firm, in-house bank/money services business legal department, and/or regulatory/law enforcement agency responsible for interpreting, supervising, or enforcing BSA/AML
- Possesses requisite knowledge and abilities to provide real-time advice and guidance beginning on day one
- Experience in OFAC matters, including interpretation, consultation, administrative subpoena processing, and drafting voluntary self-disclosures
- Strong analytical skills and ability to interpret legislation and regulations
- Ability to handle multiple tasks, assume new responsibilities, and prioritize work to meet deadlines
- Strong writing and communication skills to deal with internal and external parties, including ability to communicate persuasively orally and in writing with senior executives
- Experience writing for and interacting with examiners and auditors
- Ability to work effectively both in teams and independently
A little about us:
Headquartered in McLean, Virginia, Capital One® offers a broad array of financial products and services to consumers.