Merck Research Laboratories South San Francisco, a wholly owned subsidiary of Merck and Co., is focused on driving discovery research. Our new multi-disciplinary discovery research site offers state-of- the-art resources to explore the most promising science combined with Merck's world-class R&D expertise in small molecules and biologics . Located within the heart of the Bay area's biomedical community, research conducted in our new laboratories spans exploratory biology through early clinical development and is an integral part of Merck's powerful world-class network of drug and vaccine discovery.
At Merck, we are inspired by the belief that a research-driven enterprise dedicated to scientific excellence can create medicines and vaccines that save and improve lives. Every employee is building on our proud legacy of scientific breakthrough. Our ability to impact the lives of patients worldwide depends on the integrity, creativity, humility and scientific acumen of our team. We are creating a diverse organization that is inspired by invention and founded on a culture of respect and collaboration. At Merck Research Labs South San Francisco, you'll have the opportunity to expand your knowledge and skills through collaboration with talented and dedicated colleagues while advancing your career.
Merck Research Laboratories is seeking an experienced, innovative leader with deep subject matter expertise in Cardiovascular Disease (CVD) to lead a research team focused on novel drug discovery at our new site in South San Francisco, CA. Here you will be able to participate in a vibrant culture of leading academic and biotech research centers to promote your research and advance our drug discovery efforts.
- In this role you will be expected to promote and facilitate creative thinking from target identification/validation through lead optimization and preclinical support of clinical programs in the CVD area.
- You will be expected to be a "drug creator", and promote such thinking through your direct reports and, by influence, your colleagues in other disciplines with whom you will work closely.
- You will be involved in setting the strategy for identifying novel disease areas within the cardiovascular and renal fields for investment and resourcing.
- You will be responsible for leading efforts to develop biomarker strategies for preclinical to clinical translation.
- You will oversee external consultation and collaboration efforts with scientific leaders and advisors in the cardiovascular and renal fields.
- You will be responsible for leading a world-class, cutting edge research effort in cardiovascular and renal sciences, that promotes a culture of collaboration both internally and externally, in which experimental plans are crafted with a goal of facilitating robust and efficient decision-making with a focus on driving results.
- In order to achieve this, strong communication skills will be required to influence both cross-site therapy area aligned groups as well as functional area disciplines.
- We are therefore seeking an individual with the ability to balance internal cross-site activities with an expansive program of collaborative research with leading laboratories in the external scientific community to drive innovation and a deeper understanding of human biology resulting in the discovery of novel targets in cardio-renal disease.
- In this position you will be responsible for contributing to CVD area strategy in collaboration with senior management and play a lead scientist role on Scientific Review and Licensing committees.
- Provide direction for project teams and prioritization of resources within the early discovery portfolio at the site
- Promote Merck externally in the scientific and business communities
- Maintain high visibility among internal and external peers
- Participate in hiring outstanding scientists in the CVD area.
- In addition, you will participate in the leadership of the local site with other therapeutic area and functional leaders.
- Required: Ph.D. or M.D./Ph.D. in Cell Biology, Physiology, Biochemistry, Biomedical Engineering, or related fields.
- Candidates with an M.D. will be considered if they can demonstrate exceptional basic science training and track record.
- Minimum of (10) years related experience in Industry and/or Academia
- Record of accomplishment in Cardiovascular Disease Biology in an industrial setting, such as initiation and progression of innovative projects.
- Subject matter expertise in animal models of Cardiovascular Disease, and Cardiac and Renal Physiology and Pathophysiology
- Deep knowledge of Cell Biology, Signaling and Molecular Bases of Cardiovascular Diseases.
- Strong knowledge of drug discovery and development holistically, with a deep appreciation for biology in particular.
- Demonstrable leadership skills, such as building strong teams, ability to motivate, influence, develop/coach others, lead by example through scientific/technical expertize.
- Encourages innovative thinking/risk taking.
- Eliminates obstacles/barriers in order to implement change.
- Ability to present clear and compelling scientific and business cases.
- Outstanding record in academic basic science training.
- 25% Travel
- Deep subject matter expertize in cardiac disease biology ideally having led a research effort and/or project team within the pharmaceutical industry targeting heart failure.
- Proven ability to create and work within high performance teams and/or matrix organization.
- Knowledge an appreciation of multi-modalities approaches to solve for novel, challenging drug targets.
- Track record of achievement in academic research, including but not limited to high impact publications and extramural funding.
The quality of our team is essential to our success. We are creating a new and innovative approach to rewarding our employees and establishing a comprehensive value proposition. Our competitive compensation program and benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and the people that matter the most in their lives. If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company - one that is ready to help create a healthier future for us all.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement