Janssen Research and Development, L.L.C., a member of Johnson and Johnson's Family of Companies, is recruiting for a Director, Cellular Pharmacology, to be located in Spring House, PA.
At the Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies of Johnson & Johnson, what matters most is helping people live full and healthy lives. We focus on treating, curing and preventing some of the most devastating and complex diseases of our time. And we pursue the most promising science, wherever it might be found.
Janssen Research & Development, LLC discovers and develops innovative medical solutions to address important unmet medical needs in oncology, immunology, neuroscience, infectious diseases and vaccines, and cardiovascular and metabolic diseases. Please visit http://www.janssenrnd.com/ for more information.
The Molecular & Cellular Pharmacology Group (MCP) is a critical part of Lead Discovery in the Discovery Sciences organization in Janssen R&D, and is committed to the delivery of high quality chemical leads needed for the generation of small molecule clinical compounds in all five Janssen Therapeutic Area (TA) discovery teams. Building on a strong legacy of success, we are currently seeking an outstanding individual to join our team as Director of Cellular Pharmacology in the MCP Group. This Director role will have his/her group members both in Spring House, PA and Beerse, Belgium. This position will be based in Spring House, PA and travel to the Beerse, Belgium site approximately every 6 weeks. This position will report to the Global Head of Molecular & Cellular Pharmacology.
The candidate will lead the Cellular Pharmacology group within the MCP Group, consisting of Ph.D. and non-Ph.D. scientists. S/he will recruit, teach and develop pharmacologists with drug discovery experience. Their group will develop physiologically-relevant cellular assays to characterize target engagement and downstream effects of small molecule modulators, elucidate options for hit ID approaches, collaborate with screening scientists on development of HTS assays, and perform mechanism-of-action studies on validated hits. The Cellular Pharmacology group will also employ phenomic approaches to hit identification and optimization. The Director of Cellular Pharmacology will set standards for scientific rigor and excellence, and build a culture of innovation that is fully aligned with therapeutic area objectives. S/he will be a key senior leader within the global MCP Group and, as such, will be an important contributor to the strategic planning for the larger group. The candidate will be the cellular pharmacology expert for MCP, and contribute scientifically to discussions regarding external collaborations.
• Ph.D. or equivalent and postdoctoral experience in pharmacology, cell biology, and molecular biology, or related field is required.
• 12+ years of drug discovery experience with a record of important contributions to development of novel clinical candidates is required.
• Recognized scientific expert in cellular pharmacology for molecular- and phenotype-targeted drug discovery. Outstanding record of external publications and presentations is required.
• Breadth of experience in development and application of cellular assays in drug discovery, including development of cell-based assays for high-throughput screening, characterization of target-ligand mechanisms of interaction, and analysis of both biochemical and cellular SAR is required.
• Extensive experience in working in multidisciplinary teams and in application of biophysics, structural biology, and molecular, cellular, and in vivo pharmacology to optimization of clinical candidates is required.
• Record of success as a pharmacology group leader. Strong capabilities to recruit, teach and develop/mentor both Ph.D. and non-Ph.D. scientists is required.
• Excellent scientific leadership skills demonstrated by important contributions to strategic planning for pharmacology efforts and groups is required.
• Record of success in leading collaborations with external research organizations, including academic institutions, contract research organizations, and/or public-private consortia.
• Outstanding written and oral presentation capabilities is required.
• Experience as a drug discovery program team leader is preferred.
• Record of major scientific contributions to drug discovery programs that progressed candidate molecules into clinical development is preferred.
• Expertise in one or more of the following therapeutic areas: Oncology, Inflammation, Neuroscience is preferred.
• Experience in identification and validation of pharmacodynamic and/or predictive clinical biomarkers is preferred. Primary Location
United States-Pennsylvania-Spring HouseOrganization
Janssen Research & Development, LLC. (6084)Job Function